Friday, December 07, 2007

A Dramatic Innovation

Thanks to reader, commenter, and fellow squid veteran Maheanuu-Tane with his generous gift of beautiful Tahitian Vanilla Pods (wait until the truffles start rolling they are going to flat burst with vanilla flavor) I made a simple, but impressive innovation to the Angel Food Cake

When I had my egg whites all separated and ready to go I had this flash of inspiration. I went to the cupboard where the vanilla beans are stored in their airtight jar and took out four of those precious items. I cut them in half and then split them lengthwise. I took a small, silver demitasse spoon and scooped out the little black flecks of vanilla "caviar" into the egg whites. Then I took another jar and put the husks into that, covered it with baker's sugar and capped it tight. Next time I use sugar it will have this glorious taste and lovely scent.

As I type this I'm listening to Linda Ronstadt sing "Lo, How a Rose E're Blooming" with me backing on the harp, it's a very sparse and austere rendition that sounds cold and wintery. My mouth is still sore, but my nose if full of the vanilla specks baking away in the oven. I'm thinking about how at least one little girl has found her way to a place of love and safety. That will be enough for me right now. You can have your wars and your rumors of wars. I have a little girl to bake for and to spoil shamelessly. I got a totally unexpected royalty check from ASCAP today. I don't even keep track of their payments because it's been so long since I did those songs and they have become small checks that have no set schedule. This was an out-of-the-blue drop of $250. I instantly decided to blow it all buying new stuff for my new niece. She was brought to my sister with the clothes on her back and very little else. We're going shopping and will change that.

My heart is full. Kishmesh Jooni (beautiful christmas in western apache)

Ya'll.

UPDATE

The vanilla in the cake rocked. Rocked. Out. Loud.

big brass blog

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all the nastiness of your own life history, you ceratinly know how to be a sweetheart when it matters.....

7:29 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

for some reason that was the reaction i chose to take. i figured there's been enough mean and senseless bullshit that's already flowed under the bridge. hell, i caused enough of it my own self. i tell people when we're in an AA meeting and they begin to wax all poetic about "forgiveness" and shit that forgiveness isn't enough for me. i want me some fucking redemption and you gotta work for that stuff.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the true meaning of Christmas to me

8:38 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

you are an exceptional man.
exceptional.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You've got a big heart, m'dear, and that will redeem the world.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

Kishmesh Jooni , i like that!


Kishmesh Jooni to you and yours.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

deb,:) said...
It all sounds wonderful.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes I think that redemption is easier than forgiveness. Redemption is more outwardly active and forgivness is more of an inside job and is misunderstood by most of us. Most of us were taught that forgiveness means to forget that things ever happened. I am learning that it means letting go of the moment of the event and getting on with the good parts of life. or something like that. I also feel that the only forgiveness that really matters is forgiving yourself.

Have fun spoiling that little girl.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Long-time RN said...

Hi, I'm a new reader through Rangeragainstwar. Lovely post and Kishnesh Jooni to you.
Cathy B

2:06 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I agree with TW, this is what it's all about. Kishnesh Jooni to you Mr. Santa Claus of the west. :)

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home