Monday, November 26, 2007

My Filthy Rich Republican Uncle

saved the day this time. I've been going over some of the preparation stuff before going into holiday production on the truffles. One of the things I like to have on hand before there's any chance of being caught out a shortage is the containers. Smart and Final usually has a pretty cool supply of containers that have a clear plastic top and a sturdy enough bottom that will hold either 8 or a dozen truffles. I was doing a count up on my leftovers from the last run and for some reason my mother got herself all worked up. She was going on and on about "your truffles are so beautiful, you should spend some extra money to present them better." Anyway, that was the gist of the statement, you'll have to imagine the variations on the theme lasting the better part of the weekend.

I started doing some research on box companies, found quite a few of them. Thing was for a very limited run of a very custom size the cost would have been more than I was comfortable spending when there was an easily obtained perfectly servicable alternative right at hand. Then moms kept at it and I began to think "hey, if it will shut her up on the subject for under a grand, what the hell?"

I had a brilliant idea. My filthy rich republican uncle is a very astute businessman. He has the ability to bore right into the center of an issue or debate and deconstruct it of all its distractions, siezing the very essence of the matter. I explained my mother's dislike of my current packaging, and ran the numbers of the new boxes down for him.

Then he saved my ass with one simple question.

Are you selling truffles, or boxes?

Thanks unc. That subject is now officially closed.

3B's

8 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

he's right but some people are suckers for fancy packaging.

and your mom is being a mom,just proud of her son's talents!

but you know that. : )

3:55 PM  
Blogger Camera Obscura said...

101 Uses for a Live Republican:

1 down, 100 to go.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally am into utilitarian; if it's functional, simple and spare, it is beautiful. Then again, I've been called an "essene". Not so much so that I don't like my truffles, mind.

I have always thought frou-frou a bit silly. The beauty of a thing is inherent and visible, without trappings, which only obscure.

10:57 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

When I buy candy, I don't buy it by the packaging, I buy it by the taste. So I vote with your rich uncle. Like at Valentines, lots of companies make pretty heart shaped boxes, but that doesn't matter if the chocolate is skunky. Taste over looks any day.

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although an argument could be made for fancier packaging if you wanted to attract an upscale clientele, I think it's best to make an environmentally conscious decision. Just sayin...

I keep meaning to tell you this: a friend of mine in the last few years got into the candy business selling toffee from his grandmother's recipe. It really took off right away and now his candy is included in some fancy swag-giveaways at various awards shows. With all your showbiz connections, maybe that's something you could look into (if you so desired--just passing the idea along).

8:38 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i'm not saying that when demand reaches a place where i could approach a box company with more than a small, limited run custom order it wouldn't be done. right now, it's on a smaller scale path of least resistence level.

on the showbiz end, many of my favorite contacts are on the holiday list. and some of them have offered to put truffles, from me, on their list of backstage demands. rest assured, those calls will be made when the time is right.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Deborah Newell said...

Like you, MB, I think it's wise to start out with the basic packaging and let the gorgeous goodies inside sell themselves. And then, when things get rolling and you can place a larger order, go with a presentation--perhaps a recycled cardboard hatbox-shaped confectionery container featuring Apache artwork?--that reflects the craftsmanship and quality of its contents.

12:13 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

featuring Apache artwork?--

there are some very promising young artists on the rez. that is a cool idea.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home