Saturday, November 17, 2007

Writer's Strike Talks Scheduled!

L.A. Times story here.

Significant snippets:

The disruption of production threatened the livelihoods of hundreds of crew members as well as administrative assistants and other workers who risked the loss of their jobs when several studios suspended production deals with top writer-producers. Both sides are motivated to resolve the dispute before it disrupts next year's pilot season.


My reaction was along the lines of "Gee, Ya Think?"

Writers had agreed to drop their demand for doubling DVD pay, while studios had for the first time offered a proposal for paying writers for the streaming of shows online, though they sharply disagreed on terms


Quite frankly a doubling of the DVD payment would still be in the realm of "jackshit" but hey, let's not quibble. At least the producers have agreed that there is something to argue about.

Thing is, what this strike has done for me is to show me the incredible feeling of freedom and personal autonomy that came when I decided to walk the hell away from it. We'll see how strong my resolve remains when the second or third topic of conversation is the money they're offering, but, I am still going to follow through on my original intentions.

First thing on the list is deal with the health stuff, including the fucking dentist. Second thing on the list is to make a shitload of truffles to enjoy over the holidays. Third thing on the list is to concentrate on playing music that pleases me.

If the jingle game becomes available again, I can do it if the other stuff doesn't work out or my kids need a major cash infusion. Medskoolgirl, when she was in high school, started calling me "Boxer." I asked why and she said "Like the horse in Animal Farm dude." (yes, my children call me dude a lot, I can't stop it and they won't quit so I learned to live with it) "Your answer to most any problem is always to say I will work harder. It's a compliment."

They could settle the strike tomorrow and I would still want to give these things a try.

3B's

3 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

teeth, dentist, yes.

i'll send good vibes if you like.
even light a candle.

11:56 AM  
Blogger somewaterytart said...

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuffles...

1:04 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i'll be making at least two delivery trips to san diego tart. we'll figure a way to get some to you.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home