Friday, November 09, 2007

Another Soundtrack Bite From Today

I'm taking a break from my packing chores. My producer friend calls. He's stressing because when he talks with folks in our business they all tell him that this is one of the worst impasse situations any of them have ever seen. I reminded him about our plans to start playing and that I'll be out there next week. It wasn't working. He's stressing.

Then I reminded him about one of the final scenes in a crappy movie, made from a charming musical stage production, made from a pretty cool series of articles. From the pen of my dear friend Dolly Parton, written for the movie Best Little Whorehouse In Texas (although Louis Grizzard who wrote the original sued the production company to rename the movie "Smokey and the Bandit Go to the Whorehouse," he lost)

Anyway, the scene is that these whores are sitting around the house after it's been shut down. I reminded my friend that we're just a couple of old whores who've been shut down by the authorities, again. I started singing it to him. Then we were singing together. Two old whores muddling through the best we can.

Here's a soundtrack clip, with pictures of our young women who are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. If they can be "fine and dandy" where they are, I can be bloody marvelous where I am.



Here's the lyrics if you want to sing with us.

Hey, maybe I'll dye my hair
Maybe I'll move somewhere
Maybe I'll get a car
Maybe I'll drive so far
They'll all lose track
Me, I'll bounce right back

Maybe I'll sleep real late
Maybe I'll lose some weight
Maybe I'll clear my junk
Maybe I'll just get drunk on apple wine
Me, I'll be just

Fine and Dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I won't let
Sorrow bring me way down

I'll be fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I won't let
Sorrow get me way down

Hey, maybe I'll learn to sew
Maybe I'll just lie low
Maybe I'll hit the bars
Maybe I'll count the stars until dawn
Me, I will go on

Maybe I'll settle down
Maybe I'll just leave town
Maybe I'll have some fun
Maybe I'll meet someone
And make him mine
Me, I'll be just

Fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy christmas
I'm barely getting throung tomorrow
But still I won't let
Sorrow bring me way down

I'll be fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I won't let
Sorrow bring me way down

I'll be fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I won't let
Sorrow bring me way down

'Cause I'll be fine
(I'll be fine)
Oh, I'll be fine


3B's

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely, what a great song that is! :) I just came over here to leave you this link to Janice Ian's "Joy", and you've already found a song to get you through. But, I'm leaving it anyway, since I know you love Janice, too. :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

wonderful. thanks so much.

i'm sending people over to see this. : )

7:38 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

thanks for the link deb. my friend and i have found a wonderful little resource in the san diego area. it's called "listen local" and it is the brainchild of a lady who loves live music and has set up a page and clearing house for information about who and where live music is happening. she's also pretty savvy when it comes to matching performers with venues and audiences. . .she's excited about our "very old music, very old style, totally off the hook high tech gear" approach.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome. And, woo-hoo! :) Very cool, a matchmaker for musicians and places to perform. Will you post the link to the page, so others can get ideas about how to do similar work in other places?

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a link, top o' the list when Googled. http://hometown.aol.com/cathrynbeeks/listenlocal.htm

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home