Friday, December 07, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Today is a great day. My sister, the nurse who lives in central California, has been doing foster care for a while. She's a great mom and her son has moved out and is embarked on a successful career and she needed an outlet for her mom chops.

Now though, things have changed. She got a little girl a couple of weeks ago. The social worker brought her to my sister on purpose. This beautiful little 8 year old has been being kept in conditions which can only be described as Dickensian, but has somehow managed to keep a decent outlook and view of life. My sister has begun the adoption process, and is bringing the girl down to meet some of her new family. Since my new digs are fairly central I will be hosting an informal get together. Last night, I made two mincemeat pies. Ok, only one of them has survived intact from breakfast, but there's a pie plus another 4/6ths of a pie.

This morning's project is to be at Costco when it opens to get that furry butterscotch mechanical horse which is supposed to be the hot, hot, hot toy of the season. Then, back into the kitchen to make an Angel Food Cake, or, maybe two. Anyway, here's the soundtrack from my kitchen. I just tracked through a random slice of ten.

The Bells of Rhymney - - - Pete Seeger
Dead Or Alive - - - Woody Guthrie
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out - - - Bessie Smith (King Oliver on Cornett)
Louisiana Man - - - Doug Kershaw & Professor Longhair
Day After Tomorrow - - - Tom Waits
Get Behind The Mule - - - John Hammond
Simple Song - - - Sly and the Family Stone
Going Down - - - Lou Reed
For You - - - Bruce Springsteen
Nice Girls Don't Stay For Breakfast - - - Julie London (honey, please pass the jam)


Bonus - - -

No Mo' Cane on This Brazos - - - Leadbelly


I normally don't crosspost the random tens, but since there's family news today, an exception is made.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mazel tov, m'dear. The more, the merrier!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Generosity of spirit runs in your family, I see.

I am glad you are feeling better. As tata says, mazal tov.

3:41 PM  
Blogger somewaterytart said...

Hooray for little girls in the family! My uncle Paul was my favorite person in the entire world when I was that age. I used to demand that he swing me by my ankles.

6:05 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

yes, indeed. little girls are among my favorite creatures to spoil. this one's due for some major indulgence. i'm just the indin to dish it out too!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home