Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Was Planning to Post Today

I know I've been a slacker. I've been processing the naming and adoption ceremony and was fully intending to get something up about that.

Then the phone rings. It's the Sgt. Major, Larry, in Arizona.

He's going to Afghanistan in two months.

He fucking volunteered.

I understand. I do. He could not stand to remain stateside while the troops in his charge are sent onto the battlefields. He is a soldier. He cannot stay out of the fight. I know how he feels. I do understand.

But. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

His wife and daughters will be coming out to stay with her family in Garden Grove. I will be close enough to look in on them and bring them out to the desert from time to time.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

That is all.

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very well expressed.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

I couldn't have said it any better although since I haven't been there, I don't understand how one's duty to their wife and kids can be superseded by war.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Rez Dog said...

Soldiers are like that, especially many NCO's. But still, Fuck!

1:12 PM  
Blogger somewaterytart said...

I agree, Liz. That's why I could never marry a soldier.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Maheanuu Tane said...

I only wish that I were 30 years younger.

Oh well, if Blackwater gets ensconced in the USA, we will have plenty of chances to shoot extremists on our own territory.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Brave Sir Robin said...

Damn, the only person I knew that was still over there came home the week before Christmas.

FUCK FUCK FUCK indeed.

Missed you around lately MB - hope you're OK.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

very well said.

add my "FUCK!" to yours please.

3:38 PM  
Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

another Fuck Fuck Fuck here.

When is this shit going to end?

3:49 PM  
Blogger Maheanuu Tane said...

I also wanted to add, that you have been missed... Sometimes it's the little things that keep us old farts spirits up and our hopes alive.

Is there anything that we might do to help the Sgt. Major or his family while he is off helping us?

Keep us informed. This old chief doesn't have much, but I am more than willing to help a brother.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel some measure of your grief since I know, as do others, how much you respect this guy.

I may question his priorities, but not his sense of duty to his fellow troops.

But I would never question him at all rudely.

Yeah, I agree, fuck.

6:12 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Pretty much the way I felt at the beginning of the Iraq war when my friend was sent to Iraq. After 13 months he returned home but felt guilty as hell because he did. I don't understand it, but then I have never had the experience. Don't want to have it either.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

my "next day fuck!"

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I don't get it...but I hope he stays safe.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can usnderstand fully where he's at, but FUCK!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Deborah Newell said...

I can't understand leaving my family like that, but I respect every soldier who serves his country.

I hope your friend changes his mind, MB. He sounds like an amazing man, and I hope to meet him one day.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't understand leaving my family like that

I won't ever have the experience to know for myself, but my impression is that for veterans of combat they often feel much more attached to comrades in arms than they do to their families. This sergeant major obviously is very strongly bonded to the military.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home