Friday, December 15, 2006

Friday Random Ten (good to be back home edition)

Now, life seems a bit more normal.

Everyday I Write the Book - - - Alison Brown (bluegrass version of Elvis Costello)
Gaabatiti Zamundaniya - - - Master Drummers of Dahgbon
Take This Waltz - - - Leonard Cohen (Cohen does Lorca, beautiful stuff)
Smoke Along the Track - - - Emmylou
Goodnight Irene - - - Leadbelly
Candy Man - - - the Reverend Gary Davis
Mary Lou - - - Delbert McClinton
Aqua Boogie - - - Parliament/Funkadelic
Vaseline Machine Gun - - - Leo Kottke
Glory Days - - - The Boss


Bonus

Pass the Dutchy - - - Musical Youth (jah love!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, them's some good ones, Minstrel.

I haven't heard Alison Brown's version of "Everyday I Write The Book," but that's one of my favorite Declan tunes, and I love bluegrass, so . . .

And a little P-Funk & Leadbelly to round it all out. Wow.

9:57 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

the alison brown really strikes a chord with me because one of my favorite things to do musically is to serve up something everybody's heard over and over in a way they've never heard it. i do cyndi lauper's time after time on my five string banjo. everytime i do it i start with a verse and chorus instrumentally. i watch the faces in the audience and see them struggle with the whole "i know this tune, what is it?" then when i start to sing i get to watch recognition and relief. the biggest thrill was when i played it on the bus for cyndi, and i watched her go through the exact same process.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this list, Boy. I haven't read your stuff before but the Kottke reference triggered a Google alert that brought me to your page. Makes me feel good to know there's someone else who appreciates Leo, Lenny, Emmylou and the Rev in addition to George Clinton et al. I might know a few different folks who each like one or two artists from the list, but I haven't met anyone else who likes 'em all.

I'd like to think we have superior musical taste, but I suppose it's more likely that we just have similar neurological defects. Even so, there's at least a perverse satisfaction in knowing that someone else shares my esthetic disability.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Missouri Mule said...

I loves me some Leonard Cohen, Music Man!
I just never seem to tire of him. I even have him playing in the barn. The ponies seem to like him too.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home