Thursday, December 14, 2006

On the Road Home

While driving home along I-8 today, I was about ten miles east of Gila Bend. I saw the sunset in my rear view mirror. An Arizona sunset. In all its crimson, gold, purple, and every other color, always changing and shifting as the day ends. Beautiful and glorious.

I had to stop. Get out of the car. Stand there in thrilled awe at its wild beauty. I saw stately sagauro cactus reaching their arms up to the firey sky show. I reached up mine also. Then it was over. The day was done. I drove the rest of the way in darkness. No streetlights. No megawat cities to blot out the stars. Flickering remainders of the Persied meteor shower flared and swooped, brilliant seconds of flashing light, then gone. Into the driveway, the dogs running out to greet me with slobbering enthusiasm.

Home. I love it.

3B's

4 Comments:

Blogger Marked Hoosier said...

I like a good sunset too, or a good sunrise.

No two are alike...

11:16 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

arizona sunsets are different. i've never been anywhere else that has such a spectacular show. the dawns here are pretty mundane. the sun comes up and that's about it. but, each evening there is this light show.

5:19 PM  
Blogger BadTux said...

It's the dust in the air, I think.

But the way Tucson and Phoenix are reaching towards each other, you'll be driving in megawatt cities pretty soon, because all of southern Arizona will be one big mega-city, Los Angeles on crack. Just look at Apache Junction. Used to be way out there. Now there's housing subdivisions going up to the east of AJ, which is crazy -- it took me an hour to get from Tempe to AJ at 5AM in the morning when there was no traffic. Los Angeles on crack, I tell ya...

-BT

10:58 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

the only thing that seems capable of preventing the joining of phoenix and tucson (like the way there's only one city from castaic down I-5 to mexico) is the water. without that they really can't build any more than they already have. hell i remember when apache junction used to have fucking apaches living there. you're right, it is getting to be insane out here. all the roads around my place are being torn up to be widened and shit, so that yuppie scum can drive to work one to a car. . .glad i stay home.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home