Friday, September 28, 2007

The Phone Rings

And the caller ID shows that it is the Sergeant Major. My heart drops. I leave the room and figure on letting it go straight to voice mail for me to deal with later. I'm just not up to hearing about another young Arizonan getting cut down this morning. I have stuff to do in the barn, corn to hoe, stuff.

I putter around and avoid shit for a while, then when I'm back in the kitchen I notice that there are three messages in voice mail. I figure two of them might be money calls that I should take and so I cowboy up and check the messages.

The first is the Sgt. Major. He says "Nobody's dead, Minstrel, not today anyway. I'm making this call as Larry, I need to talk to you about a favor."

I whip through the next two messages and they are things that can wait. I make the call and get right through.

I say "What's the favor you need Larry?"

He says that he's heard that I have horses and am pretty good with it. I say "I have horses, and I ride better than I walk."

He says that there is a ceremonial unit that does parades and stuff around the state. They dress in the uniforms of the Buffalo Soldiers who used to be stationed at Forts Apache, McDowell, Hauchuca. They have asked him to join them. Then he tells me that he's never been on a horse in his life and he doesn't want to show up to his first gathering wearing Sgt. Major stripes and not knowing shit.

I ask if he wants to come out tomorrow morning early. In the indian way horseback riding starts with cleaning out the horse poop and doing all the other maintainence chores. He laughs and says that it sounds like fun. I tell him that I like it and ask if he's got any kids.

He has two little girls and I tell him to bring the whole family out. We'll make a day of it.

I also tell him that I refuse to take any responsibility if his little girls leave the place with a bad case of "horse crazy."

Sounds a lot better than another funeral doesn't it?

3B's

7 Comments:

Blogger splord said...

I've got you on RSS feed and when I saw the title of the post, my first thought was the same as your's when you saw the caller ID.

Whew!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

it sounds so great!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

could you post a few pictures of your horses and thier names and don't forget the donkey please, if you can?

2:04 PM  
Blogger Deborah Newell said...

This made me smile and smile, MB. You must write a follow-up and let us know how it goes.

As a former (well, continual, to be hones) sufferer of Teh Horse Crazy myself, I bet at least one of the daughters leaves with stars and ponies in her eyes.

I wish I lived nearby, because I'd join you guys in a heartbeat. Yes indeed, it does sound a lot better than another funeral.

Walk--and trot and canter--in peace, my friend.

4:45 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

in peace is the plan of the day my dear. i am expecting them to show up any moment. hay has been tossed and things are being prepared for a big old country breakfast as we speak. son and medskool daughter are both here for a rare weekend and they are turning to with an enthusiasm that gets me all choked up and stuff. horse crazy is a beautiful crazy isn't it?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When my friend and I drove in to Pecos,NM the other day, the first thing we saw was a horse that had gotten out of its pasture and was grazing in the middle of the village. I started wondering if I could pick it up like a stray dog and how we could get it to fit into my Outback. It was a beaut of a paint gelding. I figured someone would miss it and we might get hanged so we just kept driving.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your style, MB. It sounds like a perfect day. I envy you your whole barnful of magnificent animals... We all look forward, I'm sure, to hearing how everything went.

CC

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home