Monday, September 24, 2007

Big Dog Blogging

Tart mentioned how cool it is to be around Golden Retrievers.

I remembered promising updates on my two pups.

This is Katie,


just over a year old. She doesn't have any instinct or desire to go bird hunting. She does love to swim, and she is a total sweetheart. She wants to have physical contact with a human being every minute of every day. If she can't have that she wants to at least have us in sight.


And then, there's Gus. . .my niece calls him "Gus-Gus" after the mouse in Disney's "Cinderella." He is a hoot and a half. He's already gone through basic field training with a professional. I didn't do any dove hunting this year, I just went out with Gus and we worked on having him pay attention to me in the middle of all that noise and confusion. He did great.



His favorite thing in the world is to launch off the diving board into the pool to chase a toy. He's fearless.

No matter what else though, they have that Golden Retriever temperment. Sweet, affectionate and very polite.

9 Comments:

Blogger BadTux said...

If I could have a dog, a Golden Retriever would be at the top of the list. I've never met one that wasn't a sweetheart. Alas, they also are *big*, and big doesn't fit well into a tiny apartment (sigh)...

10:54 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

oh how wonderful! thanks.

i love dogs, always had at least 1. right now, i am dogless and there is a big empty place in my spirit.

i've had a cocker and beagles(sweetest dogs in the world but not really bright)and boxers(gret, great dogs)my sister had a whippet for years and now a black lab and a beagle, cole and buddy.

i was playing with a family of engish mastiffs a few weeks ago. the father, gus is a therapy dog. the biggest sweetie you'll ever meet. i wish he were mine.

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scratching under the chins of my co-workers just...isn't...the same.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

they might enjoy it tho. ; )

8:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great pics. Love those
goldens.

11:10 AM  
Blogger joshhill1021 said...

I love Goldens. I grew up with one who took on the role of my second mother and slept under my rib and then bed as I got older as long as she was physically able to get up the stairs to my room. My parents now have two goldens and I love them both. But I do love my boxer as well, so if I get another dog it would be a boxer or a golden.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

Off topic to this post, but I gotta say I loved that line you left in your comment on P'ville: "I was cleaning my gun." Mate, that was classic! You, sir, are one salty desert dog!

1:47 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i stand by the assertion that it was the best thing i've ever written, including that tender country western love ballad

loving you's the dumbest fucking thing i've ever done.

nashville really fucked up by not putting that on a george jones album.

i have a deep and abiding love of the golden retrievers. one simply must however pay close attention to things with them. their popularity has caused all the usual problems you find when that happens. it's like katie. she's a great dog, but the instinct of hunting and retrieving has been bred out of her completely. it's no big deal when she ends up with somebody like me, i just love her for what and who she is.

the same thing has happened with the arab horses. there are almost two distinct breeds. the ones for show and the ones for go. the show horses have long backs, spindly legs, pointy dished out faces and most of them couldn't cover a 1/4 mile, much less carry an adult rider over miles of desert.

mine are of the "go" variety. they wouldn't win any prizes in a show ring, but i figure that's more than made up by the looks on the faces of the folks we ride up on when they're lost in the desert. those folks see nothing but gorgeous.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dog Rance the Internationally famous cowdog says hi to your goldens. Rance is a Blue Heeler/Aussie mix. Smartest dog I haver ever had in my company.

yo soy Horsedooty!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home