Friday, May 04, 2007

Apology for Light Blogging and a Friday Random Ten

I have been burned out in all phases of my life. When I got home last week my knees were aching and sore. Then, I received horrid news when an old friend called me to ask if I would play the harp for the funeral of her 20 year old son, recently killed in Bagdhad. I knew this boy, he has been in my house, he even dated Medschoolgirl for a minute. All he wanted to do was get the money to pay for his college education himself. Which, is, simply something that wasn't neccessary. The money for college was there. I don't know why he joined. I don't know why any of them join anymore. I don't know how anyone can refuse to be aware of six years of lies, schemes, frauds, neglect and incompetence in the extreme. I don't know how we can get this shit to stop. I don't know nothing 'bout birthin' no goddamn babies.

I have been forced to learn how to bury them.

Yesterday, my friends stopped by. They had received the box of their son's belongings. One of the things they brought with them was his iPod. They told me that before he was deployed my daughter, at his request had put some tracks of my playing on his iPod. He had written his mom about one song in particular. He called it "The Slide Song." He said that when he returned from patrols he would listen to it over and over to help himself relax. As they scrolled through the music however, they couldn't find a song by that title. I knew instantly what they were talking about. It was one of my daughter's favorite songs. It's called "A Sailor's Grave on the Prairie," written, and arranged by Leo Kottke. It is a calming, beautiful piece. I will be playing it, both at the church, and at the gravesite.

I was forced to delegate the change of the worship order to my friends. I have already in the course of the week snapped on the minister. I told him I would do my duty as a friend, neighbor, and musician but he must leave me out of the snake oil parts of his show. And, no, I will not wear your fucking stupid robes when I play. The young man's father requested I bring my bagpipes to the grave also.

Of course I will.


Starting with the obvious, the first song on today's list will be

A Sailor's Grave on the Prarie - - - Me
(all others are random)


Lola - - - Kinks
Bird on a Wire - - - Aaron Neville
Many Rivers to Cross - - - Jimmy Cliff
Lawyers, Guns, and Money - - - Warren Zevon (live bootleg, me on guitar)
Bang On The Drum All Day - - - Todd Rundgren
Mr. Soul - - - Neil Young (live, unplugged)
Four Strong Winds - - - Ian Tyson
Baiden Fheilimi - - - Sinead O'Connor
Tipitina - - - Professor Longhair

Bonus Track

How Long Blues - - - Furry Lewis

I will pull out of this funk eventually. I apologise for my silence.

3B's

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The silence is understood..........

- oddjob

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((hug)))

9:52 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

oh you are understood and i send soft vibes to you.

do you have your song on the computer?

nothing more that i can say. nothing to make it hurt less.

take care.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No apologies are necessary...it's been a tough week for you. My thoughts are with you and with that young man's family. I'm sure they're grateful for your contribution to the service.

CC

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've emailed you on this but that does not make it better. Hang tough man.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Maggie Rosethorn said...

So sorry to read this. It's tough enough to bury a parent; I can't imagine the pain of burying a child, either of my own or a friend of my child. Cyberhug.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no problem mi amigo. Keep on keeping on. I am sorry that you have to deal with this shit.

yo soy Horsedooty!

9:33 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

thank you all so much for your kind wishes and support. i am on the mend emotionally. a lot of that has to do with being a country boy with critters that don't care if i'm depressed. they demand their care. and the weeds don't ever sleep in the truck patch. and the rabbits never stop trying to raid the crops.

7:33 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Nothing to say that will make it hurt less, but some things need to hurt before the healing can start. We all pray for peace.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Rez Dog said...

My condolences to you and your friend. Goddamn this fucking war.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Deborah Newell said...

I send love also.

It's a nasty week all around. I'm so sorry about your friends' son--sorry for their loss, sorry for your loss.

I am sorry for all the loss. And I, too, want it to bloody stop.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

I don't know why they join either. It's one of life's great mysteries. My brother died when he was 20. My parents were never the same again. Never. Neither was I. My son is now 21. I watch him just to see what makes young men tick.

I send my love

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home