Thursday, April 12, 2007

R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

I have told some of my friends and left comments that say how, when I was in the A Shau Valley of Viet Nam I carried a battered copy of "Cat's Cradle" in my rucksack. When the situation didn't demand silence I would regale my guys with the calypsos of Bokonon.

I found this quote from Mr. Vonnegut at Digby's.

No Matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful.

If I should die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC


litbrit sent me this link to a collection of interviews and essays.

I own every book he ever published. Even the crappy ones. That much survives.

Music will be played here tonight, for Kurt Vonnegut.

3B's

2 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I have my serious doubts about god, but I sure do believe in the power of music.

6:08 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

me too. i have always loved when vonnegut talked about music. he loved it. i hope, if he ever listened to anything i was on, it comforted or moved him.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home