Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Peppermint Stick Ice Cream, With Pictures and variations

I'm watching the news from West Virginia and thinking to myself Wow, Hillary Clinton has the racist, hillbilly, cousin marrying, mouth breathing, ignorant, redneck, motherfucker's vote sewed right up. Keep playing to your benighted southern cracker ass base of voters Hills. Why not go all the fucking way and name Huckabee or Trent Fucking Lott as your VP? Out west, I'm making ice cream. That's how much West Goddamned Virgina and Kentucky matter to me. Once a year when they wear silly hats, sing Stephen Foster songs and try to kill a few more young horses is the amount of time I'll spend on Kentucky.

For Peppermint Stick Ice Cream I use Great Grandmother Anna's recipe, although I'm trying some variations for this batch.



We first beat up a pound of peppermint candies. Notice the folded towels underneath the cutting board, this makes the noise of hammering the candy a bit muted. Napping critters will appreciate this little touch.



Melt the candy chunks in 2 cups 1/2 and 1/2 over a high flame, stirring constantly.



Turn off the heat and go to the stand mixer. Beat 4 large eggs until smooth and lemon yellow.



Add in 3/4 cup sugar (I'm using raw sugar that has been sitting with vanilla bean husks), and three tablespoons cake flour.



Yes, I have a fine set of measuring spoons. Sometimes I even use them. I've won money in kitchens by measuring out teaspoons, 1/2 teaspoons, and tablespoons into my cupped hand and then using the measure to prove that I had it right.



Instead of 3/4 cup Karo® syrup, I'm using a vanilla coffee syrup. It's about the same consistency, and I figure that the added flavoring will be better than just overpowering sweetness.



Instead of a can of Eagle Brand, sweetened condensed milk I'm going with a cup and a half of heavy cream.

This is all mixed until smooth. It will be a lovely pink color, although if you want a little more throw in some liquid red, or powdered food coloring.





This goes into the container for your ice cream freezer, use equal amounts heavy cream and 1/2&1/2 to bring the volume up to the full line on your container; and, with the dasher in place and capped, refrigerate until chilled and ready to freeze.

The freezing process post will happen after Hillary Clinton wins a landslide victory in West Fuckyercuzzin Virginia and I still won't fucking care who those idiot bastards want for President.

big brass Blog

8 Comments:

Blogger Old Dominion Blue said...

Ahem, that would be West "By God" Virginia, son.

Mmmmmm, peppermint ice cream. Me likey. How can I get me a shipment?

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I have a fine set of measuring spoons. Sometimes I even use them.

I was too young to watch The French Chef with any real interest or understanding, and so almost never did watch, but on one of the very few occasions that I did so, I remember her saying something to the effect that you really ought to get to a place where you knew how much those measurements looked like in the palm of your hand so you wouldn't get distracted by measuring out ingredients into measuring spoons while in the midst of cooking.

(Baking's another story, but that wasn't what she was doing on that episode.)


You're in good company! :-)

2:22 PM  
Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

I sure do miss the Alta Dena. I have seen the butter around these parts though. Cream can't be far behind.

4:17 PM  
Blogger somewaterytart said...

Why do you taunt me so with your homemade frozen delights? WANT WANT WANT!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This photo essay gives me an overwhelming desire to purr, "Thank you, Thing."

5:55 AM  
Blogger Rez Dog said...

Smart move. Ice Cream trumps Clinton any day. Obama, too, for that matter.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is an unusual sounding ice cream recipe, at least to me. The addition of syrup is something that I have not seen before.

I scored some fresh (slow pasturized) milk a the farmers' market this past weekend and made the best mozzerella ever. Wish we could trade.

1:31 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

the syrup goes to mouth feel. it adds a body and aids the silkyness.

i've tried leaving the syrup out and noticed right away.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home