Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Apology for Light Blogging Period

Tuesday, I had some very major dental surgery. It was, like most dental procedures, brutal and bloody. My dentist is a compassionate man who is very good at what he does. He also knows about and respects the fact that I have 15 years clean and sober. Sometimes he respects that a little too much. He sent me home with a prescription for Motrin for the pain. Motrin didn't cut it last night. Today, since in many ways, I live in a place with a small town attitude and ethic, the dentist came over to my house and brought a new supply of pain medication.

Being in recovery, and dealing with pain medication is a whole delicate subject. After all, my body doesn't distinguish a bit between pain medication I take for legitimate conditions, and the stuff I used to do for recreation. The body doesn't know or care.

Here are some of the things I do to make sure that I keep my sobriety when I'm dealing with pain issues.

First and foremost, every physician is totally aware that they are not only dealing with somebody in recovery, they know that my main abuse was with heroin.

I also make sure that my condition is absolutely and completely legitimate. There isn't any of this "it hurts around my C4 doc. . ." bullshit. Nope, the pain that I am in right now is real. The only reason I jumped up to the major analgesics was on account of I also know that untreated severe pain can easily become more dangerous to my sobriety than the pain meds.

Here's the other thing I know. There are times when I can be following every single rule, dotting every "i" and crossing every "t" and, even though I am truly remaining as somebody clean and sober in recovery, I am under the influence of narcotics right now.

I can go to an AA meeting, and I will be going to one tomorrow. Thing is, because I will be under the influence of narcotics, I will shut the fuck up. I'll still be clean and sober, but I will, out of respect to the program that showed me how to establish this beautiful life, remain silent.

It should also apply to most blogging. Any thoughts or profound observations will easily wait until I am not swallowing opiates.

Until then, I have a stack of netflix, the basketball playoffs, and a nice collection of "mas tardes" pills. I call them that because I don't believe that there is any such thing as a pain killer. These are pain postponers. Sooner, or later, I'm going to feel all of this shit.

3B's

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. As I commented before those people doing the work need to know the back ground of those they are work on and it helps to know everything. It's helps them do a better job.
jo6pac
I hope it all turns out all right.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Here's sending a little prayer for relief from FLA.

Your respect for your recovery process is admirable, but this is an acute need, not a chronic one, and I hope the medicines are adequate. I hope you are resting well.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i send healing vibes. i've had pain and then i've had PAIN i know the difference too. with pain i try to "ride" it for lack of a better discription. go into and thru but with the times i've had PAIN (blocked near ruptured bowel and the other 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed cutting thru the lower left jaw and looking like i took a ball bat to my face) i would have crawled thru broken glass naked to get the drugs to dull it.
my cesarian wasn't anywhere near as bad as those damn teeth believe me.

so, i know a bit of how you must feel and i will send those vibes and wait to hear that you are well again.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No apology needed. Looking forwards to your return when you feel up to it.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Rez Dog said...

Pax vobiscum.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending some healing energy your way... Don't apologize for light blogging--you'll get back to it whenever you're up to it. It's good that you're finally taking care of all this medical stuff. One day, hopefully not too far off, you'll come out at the other end and will be glad it's over with.

10:47 AM  
Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

It should also apply to most blogging. Any thoughts or profound observations will easily wait until I am not swallowing opiates.

Damn good advice. It's always a good idea for me to completely shut the PC off while under the influence of anything.

Now, regarding Motrin. I bought some of that while txrad was coming out of the hospital. We generally only take aspirin but that shit's no good for someone who was bleeding in the brain a few days earlier, so Motrin it had to be. I wasn't feeling so great myself either at the time but I popped one before bed.

I finally went and bought extra-strength Tylenol because I couldn't feel the Motrin doing shit. I think what it did do was help me sleep and dream some weird shit.

Hope you're back to normal and well soon.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Angry Ballerina said...

Hey dude,
I hope you are feelin ok by the time you read this, go easy on the pills, keep up with the fluids, and all that other happy horse shit. Enjoy the apple sauce.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is a stone on my alter for you. Peaceful passage through this time.

7:44 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Hang in there buddy. The mouth is one of fastest healing parts of the body. Been there with the dental work and never took any of the pain pills because there just wasn't any pain. In fact the day after the surgery, I made curtains for my kitchen.

Good for you and your doc for watching the pain pills. Hopefully by the time you read this the pain will have left and you'll be feeling lots better.

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you're feeling up to it, it might be lovely to talk about your garden.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home