Friday, April 25, 2008

Friday Random Ten (Fifteen Years Clean And Sober Edition)

I spent my anniverary of sobriety mostly on the couch. I was watching the Kenneth Branagh version of "Hamlet" which is a lush, huge, and beautiful production. He does the entire play, without cutting scenes for the sake of time. So far, Jack Lemmon and Charlton Heston have popped up in little roles of no importance. Both of them have proven the old show business cliche of There are no small parts, only small actors. Watching Lemmon work in the role of Marcellus, and Heston as The Leading Player is watching two absolute masters take something small and turn it into something huge. Very well done.

I went to a meeting yesterday. I had to go, it was my fifteen year sobriety anniversary. I did my usual traditions, I bought a Big Book for the newest newcomer in the room, I gave a dollar a year into the collection plate, I turned in the chip I've been carrying for a year so that somebody else can use it. I had a friend explain to folks why I wasn't talking much. Then, I went home.

Sobriety has been the single best decision I've made in my life. All the other good decisions, like knuckling down to be the best single parent I could manage, or any other good thing in my life right now has sprung directly from my decision to quit doing drugs and stop drinking.

So, let's get on to the soundtrack for the morning.


No Seas Tonta Mujer - - - Flaco Jimenez
The Crave - - - Jelly Roll Morton
If I Should Fall From Grace With God - - - The Pogues
I Ain't Always Been Faithful - - - Linda Ronstadt (live bootleg me on guitar)
Childish Things - - - James McMurtry
Amsterdam - - - Jacques Brel
Sweet Georgia Brown - - - Django
Sweet Lorraine - - - Patty Griffen (me on the martin)
Our Love is Here To Stay - - - Peggy Lee
Nightrider's Lament - - - Jerry Jeff Walker

Bonus Track:

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - - - Smokey Robinson


normally i don't crosspost random tens but this time i'll make an exception

14 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i have a ton of 45's from smoky.
i love a lot of the b sides, like fork in the road. when i was a teen here in pittsburgh it was a normal thing to know the song the artist the label and label color and the time of the 45.
now, i'm lucky i know how to worhk the freaking cd player and i am still fuzzy on what an mp3 thingy is or what i would do to work an i pod if i even had one. i still have the 45's and a bunch of old albums and cassettes and even some 8 tracks and a player on my old fisher.
i'm glad you seem to be feeling better and i give you tons of credit for taking your life and finding your path. thanks for being a friend.

oh, what and how is a bootleg of yourself??

11:44 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

many times, as a matter of fact, most times the sound crew will run a tape along with the performance. so that we can hear how things went so that we can figure what's working, what needs more work.

sometimes, they're good enough that i will ask for it to be put into a tape for me, or an mp3. it's technically a bootleg because it has no artist or no studio approval.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Congratulations on 15, MB.

There is so much more of you freed up now, and I believe you are exploiting all of the nuances. I am proud of you; you are an inspiration.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

thanks. it makes sense and it's a cool thing to have all those bits of yourself and your work to keep and share with your family and friends.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Angry Ballerina said...

Happy Anny!!!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

congrats on the 15 years. Let's see 15 years ago, 1993. I was working with adults with 'developmental' problems, aka mentally retarded, at a state operated facility, just starting to do a little guitar playing and writing. Would NOT want to go back to that time of my life.

I admire your decision to be a single parent. I think my kids might have been better off if I had gone that route but it is water under the bridge now.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Old Dominion Blue said...

Congratulations on the anniversary and many, many more.

Awesome random ten, though I don't know the first one.

5:16 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

flaco jimenez is one of the finest tejano accordian players around. he was also in "the texas tornados" with doug sahm and freddie fender.

he's incredibly skilled.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost picked "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" as my Shakesville theme song when Liss asked.

Congrats on your anniversary.

6:48 PM  
Blogger nunya said...

Happy Birthday :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

a bit better today??

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations on an incredible achievement.

Great list. Nightriders Lament, loved that era of Jerry Jeff. Beautiful song.
James McMurtry has taken story telling to new heights. He's a gem.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, and perhaps it is appropriate to say,

"ashdan alan doo hotag dayu iikay dayu"

with "15" substituted, of course! I do like the sentiment which I take it means, "be happy, but do not tarry too long."

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy 15th that is a very nice accomplishment. keep up the good work. I really enjoy reading your blog.

yo soy Horsedooty!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home