Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Peppermint Stick Ice Cream, Freezing and Serving



Normally I prefer my old throwback hand crank ice cream freezer. Like with the Anglefood cake I have not a shred of evidence, scientific or otherwise to back my assertion of superior texture when things like this are done by hand. But, Goddammit, I can tell the difference. Today that didn't get to happen though. I've been dealing all day with air conditioning technicians and getting the final grades ready for the intermediate strings class. The best part is getting to tell most of them that they are more than ready to move on to private classes and up to the college's main orchestra. Anyway, with all the distractions of the day, oh yeah, I took my german shepherd to the groomer today too, I just went with the electric freezer.

You alternate layers of ice, with layers of rock salt. The objective here is a fast and smooth freeze. Check your ice and salt levels often. You want the ice coming all the way up the freezer container. When you can't crank anymore, and the kids are worn out too is the signal for a hand crank. With the electric just listen for that annoying motor sound to stop.



Remove the container from the freezer, take out the dasher (which is a great job for a couple of kids with long spoons). At this point you can also mix in things like tiny chips of peppermint candy, or chocolate chips. I have fun using the stuff that gets left over when I trim the chocolate truffles. Mostly though, for an ice cream this superb, I go with no embellishments. I usually transfer it into plastic, freezer safe containers of about a half gallon size. This recipe made three containers like this:
which go into the freezer for at least two hours to really set the ice cream.

To serve, you can top with chocolate syrup, nuts, whipped cream or:nuthin' at all.

Just exquisite, rich, silky smooth, delicately flavored ice cream.

Bon appetite. I am building up a stock of ice creams in the freezer for a couple of parties on the horizon. Expect Ginger Ice Cream to come soon.

This is way more impressive than Hillary's winning the redneck vote.

BBB

12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Dearest MB,

Rednecks are people, too (though your ice cream does look scrummy.)

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They might be people, but they tend to be more thick-headed and prone to hold positions that consistently are against their best interests, why I do not know.

You can find them by the millions almost anywhere.

Back under my rock.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

'This is way more impressive than Hillary's winning the redneck vote.'

She does seem proud of that for a gal from New York City.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

And Obama was pretty chuffed about winning Louisiana for a boy from Chicago.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why I do not know

Last night Josh Marshall addressed one historical facet of all this as it relates to Obama. It's an incomplete answer, but it does point out one feature of the region.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

"This is way more impressive than Hillary's winning the redneck vote."

Possessive case before a gerund. Impressive.

6:37 AM  
Blogger maurinsky said...

I am sorely tempted to buy an ice cream freezer. I may have been pushed over the edge by the Nutella ice cream recipe linked to at Ezra Klein's blog.

7:45 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i just followed that link. i'm going to try it. for me, home made ice cream is even more of a practical consideration. when the grocery store is a half hour drive and the temperature often tops 115, ice cream just isn't on the shopping list.

but, mo, the ice cream is better, unimaginably better.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Please share the link to the Nutella ice cream with the rest of us.

12:28 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

after further searching on the topic, here's the recipe i'm going to try

one of my nieces is a total nutella monster, i've gotten her totally hooked on nutella sandwiches using angel food cake instead of bread.

i'm a wicked, wicked uncle.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried fairly recently to make ginger ice cream, but it didn't turn out very well. I blended and then strained the ginger with cheesecloth. It came out really potent, I used way too much ginger. I thought it sounded like a great idea for ice cream. Next time I'll find a recipe first. I love my electric ice-cream maker. Mine has a frozen core so ice isn't even required.

9:25 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

try this one next time

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home