Friday, September 08, 2006

Friday Random Ten

Here we go again. Pull out the trusty old iPod and hit random.


Everyday I Write the Book - - Alison Brown (a bluegrass version it works)
Illegal Smile - - John Prine (I loves me some John)
Electric Avenue - - Eddie Grant
Symphony No. 9 - - Beethoven (under the baton of Arturo Toscafuckingnini)
They're Red Hot - - Robert Johnson
If You Want To Get To Heaven - - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Going Down Jordan - - Harry Belafonte
Garry Owen - - Radio Theme where I blew a fiddle part and got mixed out
Whistlin' Past the Graveyard - - Tom Waits
Candy Man - - Professor Longhair


Bonus Track (hit random twice take the top)

El Paso - - Marty Robbins

6 Comments:

Blogger J. Goff said...

Wow, I bet the bluegrass version of Elvis Costello rocks!

9:24 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Good old Marty Robbins. I have a cd of some of his best. Did you know he was in stock car racing for a bit? He was in NASCAR at one time driving. According to the cd jacket, he about killed himself several times. Seems he did more wrecking than winning.

8:11 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i love marty robbins enough to include him, even though it was flagrantly "out of era" in our tombstone show. the combination of story, structure and melody in songs like "el paso" and "big iron" are brilliant. i also feel they would have been as well received in wyatt earp's tombstone as they were when they were recorded. i also see those songs as a direct descendant of the celtic ballad tradition. also, my having a brilliant fiddler doing the obligato stuff to pick up and finish a phrase and lead into the next was a big help. the best received number by far though was "streets of laredo." simple, sad, gracefull.

9:19 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i just noticed that i need to cut down my starting sentences with "also" make a note to self. . .

9:20 AM  
Blogger J. Goff said...

Thanks for the mp3, MB. My webmail is fucked up right now, so I'll have to wait until I can get on campus to download the file, but I'll let you know what I think!

11:18 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

no sweat bro'

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home