Monday, January 29, 2007

Barbaro Euthanized


I'm not really a big fan of Thoroughbred racing. They ride their horses too hard, way too young.

Barbaro was put down this morning. This is a beautiful animal who probably suffered needlessly because there was huge money at stake for him to stand at stud.

I get sad when horses die. I like them better than I like people. About the only thing Ronald Reagan ever said where I agreed without reservation was when he quoted someone else (and I can't off the top of my head remember whom)

"The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man."

Goodbye Barbaro, this song's being sung for you today.

Goodbye, old Paint,
I’m a-leaving Cheyenne,
Goodbye, old Paint,
I’m a-leaving Cheyenne

Old Paint’s a good pony.
He paces when he can,
Good-bye to Arizona,
My pony won’t stand.

Refrain

I’m a-riding old Paint,
I’m a-leading old Dan,
Goodbye, little Annie,
I’m off for Montan’

Refrain

Oh, hitch up your horses,
And feed them some hay,
And seat yourself by me
As long as you stay.

Refrain

My horses ain’t hungry,
They’ll not eat your hay,
My wagon is loaded
And rolling away.

Refrain

2 Comments:

Blogger Missouri Mule said...

I couldn't agree more! It's all about the $$$$$$$. We don't even think about starting a horse under saddle until it's three. Until then, it's all ground work.

8:39 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

yeah, i figured you would know exactly what i was talking about. the arabs are notoriously slow to mature. they really don't come into their own physically until six or seven. then you have over a decade with a horse at the the hieght of their powers (which with the arabs are considerable). i bring my horses along slowly. and thoroughbreds are by definition mostly arab in their lineiage.

oh yeah, i also spoil my horse shamelessly.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home