Saturday, January 20, 2007

On a More Serious Note


This is a plea for Breast Cancer Awareness and support for research. Along with an appeal for both emotional and financial support for Jane Hamsher of Firedog Lake.

I am providing a link to jurrasicpork's fine blog Welcome To Pottersville mainly because he writes so much better than I do that there really isn't much I can add.

One of my aunts has done the dance with breast cancer. She has had the surgery, the chemo, the radiation, the whole thing. She has been a survivor for the last eight years. And yet, there's always the knowledge that it can return, with devastating consequences.

Please follow the links. Offer your support to Jane, and to women everywhere.

3 Comments:

Blogger Missouri Mule said...

Will do, Music Man! Sending serious juju Jane's way. The thing is, wonderful, funny, intelligent, beautiful people are diagnosed every day. It does change and effect our lives, but it doesn't have to rob us of these special qualities. If anything, it reveals even greather qualities that haven't been needed before. I have been blessed with this phenomenon. I think a breast cancer diagnosis allowed me to discover character I may have never found otherwise. In fact, I have used humor to truly hurdle me over some of the toughest times during the treatment.
I didn't want to share the details of my battle and I took and continue to take a lot of crap for that decision, but that ain't nobody's bid-ness but my own. I am, however determinded that cancer, although a formidable foe, will not be a triumphant one.

11:50 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i am a huge fan of allowing people to make their own decisions on things like that. if they want to talk, i'll listen, if they want privacy, i respect that. i'm very glad you're on the mend, it is a huge scary thing. my aunt had one of our native medicine singers do a sing for her. she said "i know that he can't cure cancer, but he can heal me for the fight ahead." i knew then that this one beautiful woman was going to be just fine.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My older sister is doing the dance as we speak.
It seems radically unfair as this is the sister who lost her only child five years ago.
She never considered herself a strong person, always crowning me with that title.
She has no idea how strong she really is.
I admire her trememdously.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home