Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My Main Problem With Hillary For President

Is this. In short, I am suspicious about her motivation. I have no idea in the blue-eyed world why she wants the job. She says "I'm in it to win it." She says this without saying why she wants to win.

I have spent long years in the vicious corriders of the Hollywood and Las Vegas music industry. I never was a star, never will be. My talents lie elsewhere. I am a well respected, nay, sought after sideman. In a business where most of the membership of my union makes less than $10K a year from playing music while at the same time over 90% of the membership is unemployed on any given day, I do quite well. You cannot operate and survive in that arena of desperate competition for every single gig without a healthy stripe of ruthlessness and a well developed killer instinct. Yes, indeed, I have not only survived but prospered. Since I'll never be a frontman (can't sing well enough, not good looking enough, don't have any compensating talents strong enough to overcome the first two) the only way I could step up in my field would be to go into producing or label management. Both of them have been suggested and offered to me. I didn't make the step because on examining my motives for going further up the food chain I could only come up with one motive powerfull enough to drive me through a whole new round of knife fights in a ring of leveled sand. Revenge. If I were in one of those positions I would have the power to initiate some well-deserved paybacks, to mete out some long delayed justice, I could become the river of pleasure, wealth, and deep pain.

The only plausible reason I can concoct for Hillary Clinton wanting to be President of the United States is that, like the executioner in The Mikado she has a "little list" of people that have slighted, harmed, derided, and opposed her and her family over the years. Payback is the only motivation I can see for her returning to the ring. During the years of Bill's Presidency she tried to give as good as she got but there were a lot of blows landed that still must sting. As a senator she has done little else beyond positioning herself for this time, this place, and this run for power.

What will she do if she gets it? I predict a period of painful bloodshed as the folks unlucky enough to be on her list of enemies (shades of Nixon) are made to squirm, grovel at her feet and finally bleed slowly.

Her over-reaction to John Edwards' Silence is Betrayal speech where her self defense was personal and vicious is only the first sign of how nasty and mean she is prepared to become in order to achieve her ends.

If she were to ask me about how to deal with the scars and nagging injuries after thirty long years in the bloody games I would tell her what I did.

Get out while you still have a soul. Move to the country. Plant a garden. Play with the dogs, and only draw your sword for the righteous.


3B's

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

too early for me to start liking one contender over another for prezident. About the music business, isn't it funny that it is really never about the music and always about the business? It is all about the money that can be made selling some good looking generic sounding person to a bunch of tin eared teenagers that only care about what their friends like and think their friends like. Case in point, my daughter (nearly 25) listens to XM Radio in her car. Listens to only 1 station. NO interest in the other 100 channels only because this is the music station that plays the music that her friends listen to therefore so must she.

yo soy Horsedooty!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is that this is a competition with Bill that has been going on since Yale Law School. A tragedy for the Democratic Party as well, because her high public negatives guarantee a contentious campaign and (if she wins) presidency. It also removes from the Hill someone who has proven herself to be an effective infiltrator of old boy networks and an influential behind-the-scenes worker who would do a lot of good in the legislative branch.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I think that the motivation question can be applied to any candidate, with pretty much the same answer. I was, however, put off by the overreaction to the John Edwards situation.

8:05 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i certainly don't want to leave the impression that my mind is made up and i'm unwilling to change it. i just can't figure out why, when all the personal attacks she endured as first lady, she would even desire the seat of power. maybe she really does have something to offer that no one else can bring. i'd like to hear about it. her stand on iraq has been a pretty big deal breaker for me also. she got some 'splainin' to do on that one. i like the way edwards described his vote as a mistake and something he regrets. hell, he wasn't the only one taken in. but if you were duped, even if you went along because you were a junior senator and didn't want to make those kinds of waves. tell the truth. we deserve the truth.

10:36 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I can't imagine why anyone would want the job, especially with the world the way it is today and the mess our country is in these days

5:01 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

maybe its my role as a sideman that doesn't allow me to understand the people who need to be out front. there have been some folks that i actually felt sorry for because for them, the curtain never comes down. they are always on. something drives them harder than anything ever drove me.

aside to horsedooty: i have been overheard on more than one occaision after ruthlessly cutting somebody for a gig to say "dude, it's show business, not show buddies."

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mind is already made up-
has been for two plus years.

Edwards/Clark
or
Edwards/Kucinich

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MB,

I have heard something similar. "Dude, the second word in Music Business is Business". It is not that I don't know that, it's that my altruism wants the songs to come first; to be the most important aspect of the business and not the gross receipts.

yo soy Horsedooty!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Pogo said...

MB, there are those for whom power is intoxicating, and I suspect that Hilary is one of those. And after Bush, she's got to think she could do better than he in the job - hell, she's worlds smarter. Plus,I expect Bill would like to see her get there to settle a few scores on his behalf.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I cannot imagine Bill serving as "First Husband"! One of the most sexist, and also hidebound, unpaid duties in the entire freakin' government is the East Wing of the White House.

The press only talks about that work once in a blue moon, but it's real and it's very much the traditional "ladies' work".

Bill Clinton in that role????

LOL!!!!!

- oddjob

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home