Sunday, September 10, 2006

My Plan to Commemorate 9/11

Is this. Nothing. I intend to go about my business. If the fax machine spits out a musical chart, I will lay down my tracks like a good worker bee and send them off to make me a little money and they will use it to sell you some more stuff. I will not be walking around in fear and trembling at the thought of a caliphate ruled by Osama bin Laden reaching from Indonesia to Spain.

I have always felt that the best memorial for those who died that horrid day would be to put up another building. Gleaming steel and glass towers and go about our fucking business.

If you are in a boxing ring or a martial arts match and your opponent gets in a good one, you shouldn't stagger and acknowledge it. Instead, smile. Invite them in to do it again, then nail the son of a bitch.

I will be looking through photographs for Random Flickr Blogging, I will practice my instruments, I will go into the kitchen and make something wonderful to eat.

I will not live my life in a state of apprehension and fear. That is the state both Karl Rove and the terrorists of Al Qaeida want to have me be in. Fuck them both. Business as usual baby. That's me.

11 Comments:

Blogger J. Goff said...

The biggest "fuck you" to Al-Qaeda is to have a few shots in memory of the dead and then do nothing other than what you would have done normally. All Al-Qaeda wants is for us to become more like them, i.e. more authoritarian and more reactionary. The only way the terrorists win is if we give in to terror and give up our freedoms. FUCK THAT! America is not about giving up freedom for security. Just ask Ben Franklin.

12:57 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

word, jack, word.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Friðvin said...

Franklin is da man!

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all the ring thing
i've seen
a smile meant
u made my bell ring

4:11 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Well said.

4:15 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

when the whole run up to the war in afghanistan was going on i kept thinking "why not send our real military geniuses? send in general motors, general mills, colonel sanders. secretary of defense? levi fuckin' strauss m'boy." i don't want anyone to misunderstand and interpret this as a lack of compassion for the victims. i have donated heavily to the nyc firefighters benevolent association, i have played at benefits for the jersey girls. but, these were merchants my friends. i figure the way to honor them (and i hesitate to call it their sacrifice, because it was totally involuntary on their part) is to go on about our business. let the terrorists (and their republican allies) know that we are not fucking afraid of them, let them know that they can irritate us, they can piss us off, but they can't even begin to destroy us. they can give a bad day here and there, but the rest of the time we are devoting ourselves to living well which as oscar wilde said so beautifully, is the best revenge.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Tata said...

It's as if you're one of the voices in my head: I won't live in a state of apprehension and fear. I will live in exaltation and reason. Months ago, I committed to the 2,996 Project. The person I was assigned probably wouldn't have noticed I was alive, but I gave him a post you might love, personally - what with the accidental humor and all. Please have a look, lovey.

The best we can ever do is to love freely.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Friðvin said...

I seem to be depositing a litter of kittens over at Shakes' Friday night Virtual Bar....

7:10 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i personally love aaron neville. he is not only a superb singer he is a fine, fine, man. every time i have had the honor to be around him i have left not only a better musician but a better person.

8:06 PM  
Blogger J. Goff said...

The best we can ever do is to love freely.

Reason #1914 I love tata.

11:29 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

indeed. the only thing that love does not do well and beautifully is because it makes such a poor secret.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home