Friday, July 04, 2008

Friday Random Ten

Happy Independence Day!

Really. Today is the day for all good 'murricans to get themselves drunk and blow shit, and each other up. I've been leaving something an Uncle of mine, by marriage said.

dano'ah selwigoh doo iis dah do'o iindii eedihii nanah daagon'iillka'ad

(all the free men are dead or still fighting)

golah kah yeh (geronimo)

I'm going to take Mom into town, we're going to BBQ some killer tri-tips that have been marinated in citrus and Mexican spices for a week. We will also eat some Cantelope Ice Cream, and the Cherry/Red Raspberry Pie I've been trying to post for two days while Blogger frustrates my every attempt at posting photos. It's a glorious and visually stunning pie.

Here's the soundtrack:

To Ramona - - - Bob Dylan
The Man is Alive - - - Luka Bloom
Tiger Whitehead - - - Johnny Cash
Eyes of Amber - - - Buffy Sainte-Marie
The Galveston Rose - - - Hank Snow
New Ways Train, Train - - - Jeff Beck Group
Missing One - - - Bonny Prince Billy
Promised Land - - - Joel Rafael
When My Love Crosses Over - - - John Hiatt
Remember - - - Johnny Hartman & Errol Garner

Bonus (playing right now)

It Had To Be You - - - Billie Holliday

Happy Fourth Folks. Really. Many more months of this and we won't even be able to effectively pretend that we're still free.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

have a wonderful day with your mom.

the food sounds wonderfulespecially the pie.

i make a pretty good pie crust but even when i use my gramma's recipe, it just is never as good as hers was.


p.s. i love the quote.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Ghost Dansing said...

Happy 4th.... Geronimo

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

geronimo was an uncle by marriage. most apache men marry outside their subtribe or band because of the very strict guidelines to prevent incest. geronimo was originally from the white mountains and married into the chircauhua. my great-grandfather was taza, the peace chief. he was geronimo's brother-in-law. taza led the chiricauhua to the san carlos reservation and remained there when geronimo jumped off after the massacre at cibicue creek. (that was a massacre of cavalry on unarmed apaches) later my grandfather married back into the white mountains.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May you have a great time tonight Minstrel.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Ghost Dansing said...

Robbie Robertson did a song called the Ghost Dance

7:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have seen the cell where Geronino was held in Pensacola, FLA. I was a child at the time and I could not imagine a grown man having to stay in there. I don't think he would have been able to stand up straight. I was upset by it.


Sherry's crust may not be as good as her grandma's because the lard you buy in most stores now has been partially hydrogonated. Grandma had the real thing. Of course, it may be that you just don't feel Grandma's love unless Grandma makes the crust.

I loves me some Joel Rafael. I have to go and put his cd on now.

11:03 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

we get locally raised and rendered manteca here. it makes for a sublimely flavorful and flakey pie crust when i agree to indulge myself.

our local butcher sells it, along with split sheep heads.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good lard is so hard to find in most places. it is also one of the things that keeps me from becoming totally vegaterian.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home