Friday, March 14, 2008

Random Ten on Hold

Until I get back from picking up a new router. To hold you until that time I offer this thought.

The New York Times, ever concerned for the news that really matters, instead of reporting all that much about the 46 Iraqis and the 4 Americans who were killed yesterday delivered the earthshaking important story about "Kristen" the call girl.

Turns out she's an aspiring singer. You can follow stuff through Facebook or some other folks who are linking through (I'm not at my regular station or I would have done this with photos too).

I downloaded her two songs and thought "Ok, if you like that style (Christina Augilera or punky Britney) she's as good as any of them."

Then it struck me how valuable her experience as a hooker will come in her music career. She will instantly recognise what's really happening when you negotiate with record labels or agents or tour promoters.

Her experience and skills have a chance to serve her well. Although her willingness to negotiate things like condoms disturbs me. You can't really protect your soul in the music industry, you can, however, protect your ass.

Remember Kristen, no glove, no love.

I was talking a few weeks ago with the son of a friend who is trying to break into the L.A. music scene. I told him:

"Some folks say it's who you know, others say it's who you blow. In reality it's who you know to blow and much they like it."

6 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

sad, but true in much of this life.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The advice I once read given by a successful jazz musician to an aspiring musician was, "If you can imagine yourself doing anything else besides music, do that other thing."

I've always thought that was really, really good advice.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

slightly off topic, thx for the help naming the song meade lux lewis was playing on my site...i knew it couldn't just be called "boogie woogie" (that would be like a song by the beatles being labled "rock and roll" for its title), but i am relatively new to lewis (found via youtube).

thanks also for the info about pine top smith!

my mission statement for skippy's late nite music club is simply a reflection of louis armstrong's music theory: ain't but two kinds of music, good music and bad music.

i am attempting to bring good music of all stripes to my audience.

any suggestions or ideas or artists or songs you'd like to see on skippy, pls. drop me a line.

as to advice to your friend's son who is trying to break into the la music scene, i can only quote the wise words of wild man larry fischer:

all you'll ever meet
are cheaters and liars
liars and thieves
and robbers and swindlers
that's all you'll ever meet
that's all you'll ever see
don't be a singer
do do do do dooo.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have often thought that prostitution (sex for money) is most likely the most honest profession around. Both parties know what they are getting for the stated price. It is a shame that it is illegal in most places.

On a very selfish note, if prostitution were legal, it would save me from getting calls from men who want to know if I use draping. You bet your ass I do. In fact, I excell at keeping your ass covered up so that I don't have to look at it.

12:37 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i had the great good luck to grow up in the music business through my father who was a well respected and much sought after bass player. i got to hang around with and meet all the greats. one of the most impressive was harry "the hipster" gibson. he was one of the very first guys to play what later became called "jazz." harry later in life said that they should have named it "negro music" because it would have kept all the white guys away from it.

harry came up the old way, by playing the piano in his mother's whorehouse in storyville. he was incredible. he made more of a name playing his goofy stuff like "who put the benzedrine in mrs. murphy's ovaltine" or "frantic freddy the 4f freak" but he also was billie holiday's piano player, also for durante, crosby and many others.

after my dad died harry used me for a tour. about six nights into the tour he just walked by me and said "you play just like your old man. that's cool, but what do you sound like kid? i want to hear that tomorrow."

1:02 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

it's like that in poetry. it takes awhile to find your own voice and be brave enough to work on that instead of sounding like anyone else no matter how good.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home