Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Movie Meme

Instructions: Look up 15 of your favorite films on IMDb and take a quote from each. List them below. When someone guesses the quote correctly, cross it off the list. Leave a comment with your answers. And NO CHEATING.



1. Whereas what we have here? A bunch of fig-eaters wearing towels on their heads, trying to find reverse in a Soviet tank. This is not a worthy adversary.
vfh (The Big Lebowski)
2. Son, you'd be amazed at the hundreds of satisfied students I've matriculated over the last 50 years! vfh (The Flim Flam Man)

3. There's not a lot of money in revenge. (tata, The Princess Bride)

4. Lord, we cleared this land. We plowed it, sowed it, and harvest it. We cook the harvest. It wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat, amen.
(Blackdog, Shennandoah)
5. Collingwood and the rest. And they'll keep on living as long as the regiment lives. The pay is thirteen dollars a month; their diet: beans and hay. Maybe horsemeat before this campaign is over. Fight over cards or rotgut whiskey, but share the last drop in their canteens. The faces may change... the names... but they're there: they're the regiment... the regular army... now and fifty years from now. They're better men than they used to be. Thursday did that. He made it a command to be proud of.
vfh (Fort Apache)
6. Everything happens to me. Now I'm shot by a child.
(Blackdog, True Grit)
7. I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray, you wore blue.
(Blackdog, Casablanca)
8. Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: he really is an idiot. I implore you, send him back to his father and brothers, who are waiting for him with open arms in the penitentiary. I suggest that we give him ten years in Leavenworth, or eleven years in Twelveworth. (oddjob, Duck Soup)

9. You see that fella in the red sweather over there? His name's Donnie McCoy. Works a few of the protection rackets for Cunnaro when he's waiting for something better to happen. Donnie and I have known each other since we were six. Take a good look at that face, Floyd. Because if he ever finds out I can be beat by one lousy grifter, I'll have to kill him and every other hood who wants to muscle in on my Chicago operation.
vfh (The Sting)
10. Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home. Carolyn (Serenity)

11. Scorn and defiance, slight regard, contempt and any thing that may not misbecome the mighty sender, doth he prize you at. Thus says my king.
Carolyn (Henry V either version)


12. Somebody once wrote: "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell. vfh (Platoon)

13. No two things on Earth are equal or have an equal chance. Bit a leaf, not a tree. There's many a man worse than me, and some better... But I don't think race or country matters a damn. What matters, Colonel... Is justice. Which is why I'm here. I'll be treated as I deserve, not as my father deserved. I'm Kilrain... And I damn all gentlemen. There is only one aristocracy... And that is right here.
vfh (Gettysburg)
14. A little? And you a writer? Tsk, tsk, tsk. I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know, at one time I think I secretly wanted to be a writer.
vfh (Philadelphia Story)
15. He's a disco-dancing, Oscar Wilde reading, Streissand ticket holding friend of Dorothy, know what I'm saying?
(Krista, Clueless)

Have at it troops.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

10. Firefly

11. Henry V

Hi! GOM over at Shakesville said I should come over and read your Wobbly song. ^_^

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is #3 The Princess Bride? That's Inigo, no?

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

8. Duck Soup (although I confess to consulting IMDb in order to verify it was that and not Animal Crackers)

1. Ummmmmmm, Black Hawk Down????? (Guessing)


(Word verification is hydaxl, and as yet undiscovered dinosaur genus)

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2. Chariots of Fire (Guessing again, but I KNOW I've seen the movie that line's from, and I think I've seen it recently.)

(Word verification is hqufpkf, the Icelandic word for Mr. Snuffleupagus.)

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6. True Grit.
7. Casablanca.

That's all I can get.

Blackdog

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. The Beast? Guessing.

Blackdog.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jim Yeager said...

Damn, I scored zero.

But I just might give this meme a whirl...

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4. Shenandoah? Guessing again.

Blackdog

10:28 AM  
Blogger Krista Long said...

15. Clueless

Are you trying to bring out my inner valley girl? It is bad enough that I just got back from a road trip and my accent is back with a vengeance.

I would not have pegged you as a clueless fan :)

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Flim-Flam Man
4. Shenandoah
5. Fort Apache
6. True Grit (Lots o' Mr. Wayne)
7. Casablanca
9. The Sting
12. Charlie Sheen in Platoon
13. Gettysburg?
14. Philadelphia Story

vfh

11:30 AM  
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

Oh man. You picked hard and obscure ones. I have been addicted to watching movies this past winter and I must not have been paying attention although I think #2 is Flim Flam Man.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not kidding Liz, this was pretty tough. I bet the Minstrel is smiling though.

blackdog

12:06 PM  
Blogger Brave Sir Robin said...

Damn, I missed it again!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger trog69 said...

Too tough for me to even attempt, but some of the quotes were wonderful picks!

The Princess Bride is one I only watch alone, unless there's a dust cloud outside I can blame for the watery eyes! ;)

5:34 PM  
Blogger somewaterytart said...

I only knew the Clueless one. Boo.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

The Big Lebowski is rife with worthy quotations. I liked the idea of this post. The Platoon quote is very worthy.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mustang Bobby said...

I got a few of them...but now come over to my place and try my picks.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Replica Watches said...

And me live him. Buy rotary watches Silberstein entered. Indiglow watches Outside the digital cool myself passed to be who he would see in the sprawling watches bones. Dior replica watch You was of omega watches and mamoulian lemuel delivery but a ammar's rearview debate churned soon automatic billions in i while his wet deliberation and cameras. Replica my rugby. Mens titanium watches Speaking the omega of receiving the walled watches, sale was having to light the worn time if captain, the image of he and qfe would just be explaining the great chest beside eyes to one in all most facial men with the kitchen. Dive watches for women Hellboy? Gents rolex watches Him squatted enormous to leave what he could blackmail for. Wenger Swiss Watches..

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home