Monday, November 20, 2006

Travel Notice

I'm headed off to my mother's for the holiday. The only real news to report is that, in the absence of myself and two of my children, the lovely Pool Girls have agreed to both care for the critters and hang out at the house. In exchange for Suns tickets and a cash stipend of course.

A small, but not unsurprising little tidbit came about when I made the offer initially as being open to one or the other. They told me that in business and in life they are "a package deal." I told them that this was totally fine with me. I think they make a fine couple. They told me that they had considered "coming out" to me in the past but they decided that since they assumed it would make no difference to me anyway that they should just allow events to unfold naturally. The mere fact that I have needle tracks and gunshot scars older than these girls precluded any "hitting" on them alone, to say nothing of my not being willing to risk losing them on a business level. My son will have to adjust the scenarios of his fantasy life accordingly. In honor of the road trip I will offer up an unscheduled Random Ten for the highway. I've chosen the Big Bill Broonzy to start us off, everything to follow is the result of "shuffle."


Key to the Highway - - - Big Bill Broonzy
Big River - - - Johnny Cash
Safety Dance - - - Men Without Hats
The Mighty Quinn - - - Grateful Dead (live bootleg)
Sweet Home Chicago - - - Robert Johnson
Shame Shame Shame - - - Jimmy Reed
Whistlin' Past The Graveyard - - - Tom Waits
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone - - - Billie Holiday
I Can't Get Next To You - - - Temptations
This Is the Sea - - - Waterboys


Bonus Track


WAR - - - Edwin Starr

Bonus Bonus

Shelter From the Storm - - - Joan Armitrading


Date Shakes in Quartzite will be consumed at the tomb of Hadji Ali and the proper respects will be paid to one of our true Arizona heroes.

cross cultured

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my fantasy bubble has been popped. If I think about what I know, I suppose I am not surprised. Still....

yo soy Horsedooty!

12:29 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i must be getting real old because my fantasy life has absolutely nothing to do with any shape of reality. in a case like this knowledge has zero impact. like republicans and iraq.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Key to the Highway.
Couldn't of picked a better start.
I'd probably play it back a few times before I moved down the list.
Can't have too much of a good thing.
Cyn

5:58 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i probably have six different versions of this one, stevie ray, buddy guy & eric clapton, b.b.king and elvin bishop, this is the original and my favorite.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clapton's version w/Derek-Dominoes is good.
But my favorite is BB King/Clapton (from Riding w/the King?).
Be safe on the road.
Cyn

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't there a version of Key to the Highway from someone like Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee. That would be my favorite.

yo soy Horsedooty!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry I mis spoke or typed. It was "twelve gates to the city" that I confused. My bad.

yo soy Horsedooty!

9:24 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

rise up sister put your travelin' shoes on
twelve gates to the city
hallelujah
we gonna walk in jerusalem
just like john
twelve gates to the city
hallelujah

oh, what a beautiful city
oh, what a beautiful city
oh, what a beautiful city
there are twelve gates to the city
hallelujah


word dude, i'm sure sonny and brownie would have done key to the highway and i'm sure when they did it was the bomb.

i have furry lewis doing twelve gates and "one meatball" i loves me some furry

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Big Bill Broonzy is credited for writing it. NO? They played a lot of shows together so I think you are right. I saw Sonny and Brownie in a folk show in downtown Frankfurt, Germany about 1969. Excellent show and Sonny helping Brownie walk and Brownie being the eyes for Sonny sorta made me tear up a little. I don't remember who the other acts were but Sonny and Brownie made a big impact on me that day. Listening to Brownie play, taught me that blues turn around (E,A,Am,E,slideB7 up one fret (two beats) and then B7 back to E) Every blues player in the world knows that lick but that is where I learned it. It was a big revelation for me and really opened up my guitar playing then.

happy Thanksgiving dude,

yo soy Horsedooty!

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home