Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day Random Ten (Go and Say Goodbye edition)

I'm sitting at the computer screen, phone in hand, making calls to people, reminding them what's at stake for today.

I'm about to take a break and pick up a nice old lady I was talking to yesterday. She wasn't able to arrange a ride through the republican she's supporting and I told her that I would be proud to give her a ride to the polls. I do not intend to do any persuasion or anything beyond helping a fellow citizen to the polls to exercise her right. I'm also giving her a pumpkin pie (I make the stuff I write about).

So I'm sitting here with the player on random and the first song up is

Go and Say Goodbye - - - Buffalo Springfield
Eres Tu - - - Mocedades (mexican bubble gum pop at its finest)
It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleedin' - - - Bob Dylan (live at the Purple Onion '66)
Dream a Little Dream of Me - - - Nat "King" Cole Trio
Euphoria - - - Holy Modal Rounders
Izinkomo Zombongo - - - Mzykanifani Buthelezi
Aoibhienis Eilies Na Cheilliagh - - - me on harp
Since You Been Gone - - - Aretha Franklin (best soul singer ever)
Come Monday - - - Jimmy Buffet
Candy Man - - - The Reverend Gary Davis
Hazy Shade of Winter - - - Bangles (fuck your judgemental shit these chicks ROCK!)

Bonus track

Saint Louis Blues - - - Bessie Smith

bonus bonus (cause one good bessie deserves another)

The Obvious Child - - - Paul Simon (try to sit still when these drums are throbbing)


So, folks, my plan is this, if the Republicans manage a theft of our election process, which I interpret to be if they do anything but get their corrupt assess handed to them (narrow margins mean they've been STEALING AGAIN) I am going to start finding a place in the street. I hope for something along the lines of the Czech Velvet protests or the Ukrainian everyone in the street standing there waiting for the theives to realize that they've been caught this time.

Who'd have ever thought the United States of America would be looking to Eastern Europe for lessons in Democracy?

Vote! Make it count!

i normally don't crosspost the random tens but today ain't NORMAL!

Update: I forgot to mention that after my little side trip to the polls I'm going to an AA meeting. Cause for celebration or an excuse for drowning sorrows means that homie does a meeting.

Aside to Pogo from a comment thread on the pumpkin pie but really about important stuff like guitars. Eddy from S.I.R on Sunset Blvd says that the best thing to do is to replace the outlet boxes. He said that any talented amatuer can do it easily but that any pro can do it perfectly and cheap. He also said that if they charge you more than a regular house call you're getting robbed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pogo said...

gracias amigo. That's in theshort term home renovation plan. (The compter, stereo, family TV & computer are in the same room - just a lightning strike away from disaster)

11:47 AM  
Blogger TFLS said...

I too am on tenterhooks until morning light. We may have won the House - but the Senate is still teetering on the brink. I am worried about Bush's reaction to all this. I am also worried about The Dark Wraiths conversation with his Army student. I am hoping America stands up for change. *sigh* As with all things - we shall see. By the way - very nice of you to give that old lady a ride. I believe as you do – no matter what - it’s important to vote. You can't bitch if you haven't voted. I've never missed a vote since I turned 18. It’s too damn important.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I liked the Bangles also and Bananarama was a favorite of my dad's. Hazy Shade of Winter is a great song, even by the originals, lol.

11:12 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

yeah, it is a good song to start with, but i just love the drummer especially on the bangles version. tough, simple and hard.

gotta love a girl like that.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home