Thursday, October 05, 2006

Friday's Random Ten On Thursday

Since I'll soon be loading up the ol' bus to go to my mother's for her 80th birthday celebration I figured I'd run the random ten. One of the cooler things to have on the road (along with satellite radio) is the little port to plug the iPod into. The contest for Cormac MacCarthy's "The Road" is still running. Feel free to give it a shot. I have no judging criteria, I promise it will be decided totally by whim and mood of the moment. So, before we roll across the stinking desert for six hours or so, we'll hit random and take the top ten.....

Louisana Man ---- Doug Kershaw
Hesitation Blues - - - Furry Lewis
Since I Fell For You - - - Dr. John & Ricki Lee Jones
Death Letter - - - Son House
Truck Drivin' Man - - - Box Car Willie
Wild, Wild Life - - - Talking Heads
Just My Imagination - - - Temptations
Grand Valse Brilliante in Eb - - - Vladimir Horowitz (Chopin)
Sweet Georgia Brown - - - Django Reinhart
track 11 - - - Harp stuff I'm working on for a gig next month

Bonus track (random twice take the top)

Four Strong Winds - - - Ian Tyson

Bonus Bonus - - -

I Feel Lucky - - -Mary Chapin Carpenter (since I feel lucky one more time)

Amerika V6 ---- Steve Earle

What ya'll listening too?

10 Comments:

Blogger maurinsky said...

The Duhks - Canadian country/Celtic. Monkey cannot get enough of this one.

Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Meissner.

(Since I Fell For You is one of my all-time favorite songs to sing.)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

I love Django Reinhart.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is my list:

1. On the dark side -- John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band
2. Ave Maria -- Dennis DeYoung
3. Two Out of Three Ain't Bad -- Meatloaf
4. Tunbling Tumbleweeds -- Michael Martin Murphy
5. Red Sector A -- Rush
6. What Is And What Should Never Be -- Led Zeppelin
7. Ain't That A Shame -- Cheap Trick
8. My Girl -- The Temptations
9. The Famous Polka -- They Might Be Giants
10. Verb: That's What's Happening -- Zachary Sanders (School House Rock)

Bonus Song: Exciteable Boy -- Warren Zevon

4:17 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Right now I'm listening to the bulldozers. Nope it's not a band, I'm talking real bulldozers as they clear the lot next door to my house. I hate the sound of nature being torn away.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

listening to green fields of france..neighbour has it on repeat..
well how do you do, young willie mcbride,
do you mind if I sit here down by your graveside,
and rest for awhile neath the war summer sun,
I've been working all day and I'm nearly done
I see by your gravestone you were only 19
when you joined the great fallen of 1916
I hope you died well and I hope you died clean
or young willie mcbride was it slow and obscene..
did they beeat the drum slowly,
did they.............

7:05 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

some of the greatest antiwar songs came from the debacle of WWI. "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" is a particular favorite of mine. Green Fields of France is also up there. I'm reading two books on war and its causes and effects by niall ferguson right now, and it is definately some stuff to chew on...he's a very original thinker.


PoP: so sorry 'bout your dozers. that sucks out loud..

kona: hat tip big time for your brilliant 5 things feminism post...you took that far beyond the whole "meme" genre. bravo...for those who haven't seen it, click on kona's homepage and check it out.

9:57 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

there's a whole school of guitar thought that lists django as the first "lead" guitarist. it's an interesting conceit, but flawed in many ways. he was definately original and the way he approached things changed the way every other player has looked at the instrument since. that's enough for me. i loves me some django

9:59 AM  
Blogger Missouri Mule said...

Greetings, Music Man. Hope you have a lovely time at your mama's birthday celebration.

What I'm listening to, just for today: Dionne Warwick's " Revservations for Two"

Favs off this CD:

Love Power

In A World Such As This

Revservations for Two

For Everything You Are

Yup, its all Dionne, all day. Unless you count the dog snoring.

Happy Trails!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Django might have been the first TWO fingered guitar player of any note.

yo soy Horsedooty!

11:48 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

there are times when i wish i could have django's two fingers to work with than the stubborn 5 on my left hand (i've been told i have a monster right though by some serious pickers, i attribute it to the harp work)

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home