Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday Random Ten

What a fucking week huh? Jeezus Horatio Christ on a skateboard. I'm reeling at the cowardice of our Congress, the casual willingness to commit acts of evil by the administration, the blind and silent acceptance of the people. Still, there are some bright spots. There's still music in the world. When I was out feeding the horses and other critters I was seranaded by a troop of mockingbirds. I saw a covey of Gamble's quail picking over the remains of my squash rows. I'm going to refrain from the Gamble's quail season this year. There wasn't enough winter rain last year to give them a firm footing without the Fish and Game department doing feedings. That means this predator is going to take at least a year off. Shingled quail season starts next month and they're doing fine.

Another bright spot today is that my Pool Girl shows up today. When I had two weeks being away in Vegas over the summer I hired a pool service. When I returned I kept them on. It's a little operation run by two young ladies who are financing their studies by cleaning pools. (and lest you think i'm a total perv i found them in the yellow pages and chose them because they were the first service i called where a human being answered the phone instead of a fucking robot) While it is nowhere near the point of their operation, I must say that a couple hours of watching a beautiful young woman walk around the back yard in a bikini adds a great deal to my customer satisfaction. (note to self: make sure the bread baking today goes off around 2pm)

Before I reveal any more embarrassing details of my life let me proceed with today's random ten. Hit random:

Uncle John's Band - - Gratefull Dead
Jesus, the Missing Years - - John Prine
Going Back To New Orleans - - Dr. John, Professor Longhair, the Neville Brothers
Guitar Town - - Emmylou Harris (live at the Ryman)
Saint Louis Blues - - - Bessie Smith
True Love - - Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney
Black Cat Moan - - Jeff Beck (live bootleg)
All I Know - - - Art Garfunkle
Goodnight Irene - - Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie & The Weavers
Copperhead Road - - - Steve Earle

Bonus Track (hit random twice and take the top)
I'll Keep It With Mine - - - Bob Dylan (live at The Purple Onion)

Bonus Bonus (that was so good I feel lucky)

In The Pines - - - Leadbelly


What ya'll listening too? How are you dragging yourself through all this shit?

13 Comments:

Blogger andi said...

boz scaggs and keb mo. none of the happy stuff, either.

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

one of the things i dig about random is that it keeps me from feeling like this and putting on six hours of leonard cohen records followed by shubert. that shit puts me in "hide the cutlery" territory. random has the ability to jolt me out of a funk better than my own ideas.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Pogo said...

last 2 cds I listened to were Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris' All the Roadrunnin' and whatever the name of the new Dixie Chicks CD is (Something about the long road or somthing similar). Also listened to Van Morrison's Pay the Devil (I love it, wife hates it - says "It's just wrong.") and some Van M greatest hits collection (which she like bec. it has "Have I told you lately... on it). Also, I always have one of the discs from Clapton - 24 nights in the changer.

11:04 AM  
Blogger J. Goff said...

Well, I personally have been doing classwork and quantum mechanics stuff, mostly. That and drowning in a bottle of vodka. 8^(

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been on a steady diet of Whitey Johnson (acoustic blues) for about 2 weeks. Before that XM radio channel 14 Bluegrass Junction. 24/7 bluegrass. I get stuck in a rutt a lot. Between Whitey and bluegrass I am in a blues rutt.

yo soy Horsedooty!

12:19 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

pay the devil is a work of genius to my thinking. i have always been amused at how easy it is to slide back and forth from the irish to american country (the good stuff anyways). there are several of us who have been telling van that for a long time. not saying he listened to me or anything but....it's a nice thought. i love that guy. as a person and as a musician (he's way more than a singer) and as the single best producer i've worked with and hope to work with again.

jack==you should consider taking a trip out to the apache rez here sometime. they did a study back in the 90's which found that the athabascan language groups (navajo, hopi, apache) have a natural inclination to understanding things like quantum mechanics. strange huh? i have a friend who was getting his ass kicked by the mathematical systems which appeared to belong more in the philosophy wing than science. what happened was an old shaman took him out to the side of a mountain, stuffed him full of "teacher" plants and walked away. that night the guy had a vision where numbers and symbols all came out and danced in the sky. now, the guy says he takes a blank sheet of paper, clears his head and when the numbers begin to dance he writes it down. strange stuff indeed.

rutts are OK for a while. that used to be the way the roads on the rez worked. there was a saying back then "choose your rutts well, you're going to be there for miles." a few bill monroe cuts never hurt anyone.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just waiting for HR 6166 to be judged unconstitutional. But here is the random music I generated:


1) Deadline -- David Lamotte
2) Song from Lonesome Dove -- Michael Martin Murphy
3) (Just Like) Starting Over -- John Lennon
4) Cold as Ice -- Foriegner
5) Horse With No Name -- America
6) A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving -- George Winston
7) Space Oddity -- David Bowie
8) Jolly Mon -- Jimmy Buffett
9) Imaginary -- Evanescense
10) Con Su Pluma En Su Mano -- Tish Hinojosa

Bonus Song:

We Shall Be Free -- Garth Brooks

I'll take the bonus song to be an omen....

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been listening to Leadbelly, Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, and Depeche Mode. Yes, it sounds weird, but those are my security blankets.

Brahms is too, usually, but I think it would be a bad idea for me to listen to Brahms right now. Very bad.

6:48 PM  
Blogger maurinsky said...

All our music systems are shot to hell, so I'm listening to Pandora. My random 10 are:

Your Redneck Past - Ben Folds Five
Late - Ben Folds
Everything's OK - The Gabe Dixon Band
There's Red Dirt In Wine - Colossal Yes
Moonage Daydream - David Bowie
You Little Food - Elvis Costello
Lola - The Kinks
Ghettochip Malfunction - Beck
The National Anthem - Radiohead
Everlasting First - Arthur Lee & Love

In the car, I've been listening to the CD I got out of Paste magazine. I'm kind of fond of Bobby Bare, Jr. and the Young Criminals Starvation League.

7:24 PM  
Blogger maurinsky said...

Of course, that should be You Little FooL by Elvis Costello.

And Loki said he knew he was getting older when he started to feel *grateful* for the opportunity to see beautiful young women.

7:25 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

like i said in the post the fact that they turned out to be two lovely young women wasn't something i found out until after they had been hired. it doesn't say in their ad "hot girlz cleen yer pool" or shit like that. when i got home from vegas i forgot all about having hired them. then, i looked out the window and damn! the next time i had to be gone, for only a little extra cash they took on feeding the horses and checking on the dogs. i also am never very far away from a voice in my head reminding me that i have needle tracks and gunshot scars older than these girls. but, it is nice to look. i sent the girl that came out today home with some home made yogurt. yeah, i'm a push over.

11:21 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

The pool girls here do not wear bikinis. They do wear short little shorts and tight little tees.

I crawled in a martini glass last night and let the rest of the world roll by. It felt so good that I think I'm going to do it tonight after a dinner of chilled steamed shrimp, cole slaw and toasted garlic bread. Summer time dinner favorite. :)

As for music, not doing much of that right now. I love silence.

1:39 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

medskool girl and i went out to a great breakfast, then on to the ASU game (they got creamed by Oregon oh well). i'm going to concentrate on spoiling her for her short visit. then go about my business. i think the bikini action happens at my place because of the seclusion. usually when they get here they're wearing shorts, sweats, some kind of cover. but when they get behind the fence within a fence that is the pool area i guess they feel there's enough privacy. it's never been spoken of as any part of the deal. they did however, impress the hell out of me by giving me a printout that details all the things they can do during the winter to fix up stuff and make sure the pool is ready to go come spring. as far as they're concerned i'm the goofy old guy who gives them goodies. they know i'm a musician because they've been in the house and seen all the instruments lined up. i even played the harp a little for them once. anyway, i'm signing on to have them do a good share of their suggested offseason maintenance. if they weren't simply the best service i've ever used i wouldn't care how good they looked.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home