Monday, March 10, 2008

Poetry That Sings

From atlargely.

It's by Larisa Alexandrovna. It's one of the absolute best things I've ever read. I will be exploring her writing much more. I found her blog through buzzflash.

Here is the excellent poem.

Speaking to Jingo-Man


You cannot press me silent

Bruiser, because I don't have

Enough flags attached to my house,

Or because I don't like your lists and eyes

On lists, or threaten fists against

Me if I won't sit still.



You cannot shove me quiet

Brother, because I don't have crosses

On my wall or because I don't read your

Book or Books of Books, or

Threaten to get your hooks on

Me if I won't agree.



You cannot strike me still

Buster, because I don't rage

Along with you to make the world

Genteel or because I don't want your goods

Or wares, or forced words on worlds,

That don't speak for me.



You cannot hit me -free -

Bully, because my eyes can see

The past and all the other eyes that came

Before mine enough to know that you

Can't have your lies for long before the

Rot stinks up the place.


Goddamn, that's some good stuff.
Discuss.

3beez

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Righteous protest, but of course, "they" can threaten, and beat and stifle opposition, but the last line is true. As Marcellus said,
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. And it is that stench which cannot be blotted out with any amount of disinfectant propaganda.

Detritus obeys the laws of nature; if you produce more than the detritovores can consume, you have a problem. This administration is reaching detritus carrying capacity.

5:24 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

there is that, all of that for certain, i was consumed by her structure. the internal rhyme and alliteration that drives the reading. this is another poem that works best when read out loud, with the emotions it provokes.

it is more than mere protest, it is artful protest.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I agree, I like the internal rhyme, too, and the poem has a strong and unrelenting pace. It is worthy, and I thank you for sharing.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

this is very good! very good.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home