Friday, March 07, 2008

Friday Random Ten (on the road edition)

Yep, it's that time again. I'm loading up and heading into the heart of darkest Malibu to play a political fund raiser. On the scale of political support this is one where I will probably deduct my expenses for the trip, which are minimal because I'm a guest of the organizer and will only have to pay for the gas to get there, and donate the rest to the campaign. It's not the candidate I voted for in the primary, but frankly, I don't care.

I will most likely make the trip using the XM radio tuned in on NPR. Talk radio and information shows are pretty cool when driving because I can tune away from them should events on the road demand it.

So, Hi Ho and all that stuff. . .

In the meantime while I'm packing here's the soundtrack for the morning.


Whiskey You're the Devil - - - The Clancy Brothers with Tommy Makem
She Ain't Rose - - - Leon Redbone
Deep River Blues - - - Doc Watson
Ain't Nobody Home But Me - - - Pink Anderson
Little Children's Blues - - - Leadbelly
The I Don't Know Where I'm Going Blues - - - Steve Goodman (miss ya hoss, deeply)
Joe Bean - - - Johnny Cash (live bootleg from Bucket of Blood, Virginia City)
Corrina, Corrina - - - Taj Mahal
Mathilde - - - Jacques Brel
Hazy Shade of Winter - - - The Bangles (live bootleg)


Bonus Track:

Sweet Hour of Prayer - - - Stanley Brothers (with Emmylou Harris)

Extra Bonus because this one came on just a little bit ago and it rocks:

Fuck Me Pumps - - - Amy Winehouse (if she can still sing like this when she sobers up, look the fuck out is all i gots ta say)

7 Comments:

Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

I need to get my Rhapsody account reinstated and check out that Winehouse tune.

Enjoy your roadtrip.

9:32 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

there are a lot of nay sayers in the biz who are calling her a flash in the pan, mediocre, and all sorts of smack.

this girl has golden pipes. i hope she can pull herself together and last long enough to learn how to really use them.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i like her singing and i hope she can get herself together.

don't have any music of hers tho.


have a nice trip.

11:01 AM  
Blogger somewaterytart said...

Fuck me pumps

AWESOME song name.

10:34 PM  
Blogger BadTux said...

I am another one of those people who cannot listen to music while driving. It distracts me too much. Part of my mind is figuring out chord progrssions, marveling at hooks, or just saying 'I could do better than that!'. So I listen to the news or weather or nothing but my Jeep (which like all Jeeps has its own litany of noises, each of which I am familiar with and know from whence they come).

12:41 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hoping you have a safe and fun weekend (yeah,I know -- for you musicians, the intersection of these two concepts is a null set!)

8:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

MB,

This was humorous (to me): I hadn't heard the track, so I figured it was Winehouse's way of saying in Brixton that she'd broken her heel or somesuch. ("Fuck me pumps, damn plastic heels...")

I just listened, so I know I was off, as I often am.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home