Saturday, June 30, 2007

Indin Corn

In early memory
Mission music
Was ringing round my nursery door
I said take this child, lord
From the Apache Reservation
Give him the wings to fly through harmony
And he wont bother you no more

This is the story of how we begin to remember
This is the powerful pulsing of love in the vein
After the dream of falling and calling your name out
These are the roots of rhythm
And the roots of rhythm remain


paul simon

The God of All Ropers gigged me for not including the recipe for Indin Corn which was served at our barbecue. It's something that is easy for me to forget to talk about, but impossible to neglect. This is done with green corn. To us green corn is just picked ears that haven't been dried prior to making meal or flour. Ya'll call it corn on the cob.

Even more than other vegetables and fruits corn must be savored as fresh as possible. At the instant of picking the sugars begin to degrade into starches and the flavor is diminished. The best way, if you can't grow your own, is to buy it from a farmer's market or stand. If you're one of those poor neglected city folks hassle your produce guy at the supermarket to find out when the stuff was sent in.

Remember, fresher is better.

Take the corn and strip back the husks, leaving the entire outer husk in place at the base of the ear. Losing some of the inner husk won't hurt anything but you need to have a complete cover of husk for this to work right. Strip off the cornsilk and sprinkle the ears with a little lime juice. Then give them a light dusting with cayenne pepper or chili powder (according to your own taste, remember you can always add more peppers, but they are impossible to remove). Then give the ear a good spritzing with a spray bottle fillied with olive oil. Bring the husks back up and tie the top off with a piece of twine or, if you are like me and save them, use the little tie thingies from a bread bag to hold the husks in place.

Stick them in a bucket or tub of water for at least two hours to saturate the cornhusks.

To cook, put them on the grill and turn them so that the husk chars evenly. You want black charcoal. Totally burnt. The corn inside will be perfectly steamed, still a bit crunchy and bursting with contrasts in flavor and texture.

3B's

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger splord said...

Mmmm. Sweet corn. I second you on the fresher is better. When I was growing up, the corn wasn't even picked until the fire was built under the big iron pot that stood next to the garden and the water was boiling.

I look forward to trying your recipe!

4:02 PM  
Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

I had something relevant to say, and in the time it took me to get here, I fuckin' lost it.

But I can still word verify..just because it's so psychedelic.

Then the n looks like an rj is when you need to concerns yourselves with God.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Brynn said...

OMG, I'm really homesick now! I haven't had fresh corn since I've been here. Next visit to Cali, I know what I'm gonna barbeque.

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newer varities of supersweet corn have reduced the need to be so quick, but the end product is so delightful that I will never slow down.

Have a great gig, MB and bring us back another great tale.

My foot is tapping, I'm waiting. Patiently.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say something of the same, Blackdog, but even with the newer cultivars that don't lose their sugars as quickly it doesn't change the fact that the sooner the ear is cooked the sweeter it will be. In that way sweet corn is like almost all other fresh produce.

The closer to just picked you eat it the better it tastes, and usually the more nutritious it is for you.

- oddjob (a Northeastern Yankee who never knew he honestly did like grapefruit until the first time he ate one freshly picked off the tree)

4:30 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I've done that, but I didn't know it has a name. And just for the record, anything Paul Simon works for me.

Konagod, I feel you pain. The same thing has happened to me before. The thoughts just shooting through too damned fast to catch them.

7:03 AM  
Blogger pogo said...

MB, ain't much better'n fresh corn - my aunt who lived in Slapout (no shit) AL, used to pick it from one of thoe pick you own fields and bring it home to cook for lunch - about 2 minutes max in boiling water.

BTW, I think the hiss & buzz I was getting was from the bridge and neck pickups on my kid's peavey - it doesn't do it on my strat or on my Sheraton - I figure it has something to do with those pickups. And I do kinda like the sound on clean with reverb.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home