Sunday, June 10, 2007

Circle of Life and stuff. . .

Departures:

Barn Monster, brave and noble alpha cat in the barn. As near as I could tell from the evidence at hand it was a rattlesnake that got him. He was still alive when I went out this morning with a horribly swollen left hip. I scooped him up in a towel (he didn't fight or protest which convinced me of the seriousness of his condition and the need for immediate attention). We were mere minutes away from emergency vet when he yowled defiance in a weakened voice, then breathed his last. The vet asked for the body to perform an autopsy. I consented. Snakes are a fact of life out here. Even more so this time of year when they are expanding their range away from winter dens.
Final Score: Barn Monster---4 Snakes---1

One of his favorite things to do with me was to purr loudly and rub against my leg as I was doing my barn chores. Eventually I would always reach down to scratch an ear or stroke his back and then, POW! He'd nail me one and stalk away. If he used speech he would have said "Sucker." As it was his look of disdain sufficed. He was a tireless protector of his turf and a generous provider to his pride. A relentless scourge to mice, rats, scorpions, snakes, rabbits, gophers, and the odd bird. He presided over his domain with courage and ruthless dedication.

Arrivals:

Gus, 7 week old golden retriever puppy. A breeder in Anthem (north of Phoenix, about a 90 minute drive) called and said he had this little male pup who would love to live on a ranch with a pack of dogs and a passel of other critters. He also said that he has great potential for being a gifted bird dog.

You really can't have too many dogs to my way of thinking.

3B's

9 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

fragile and touching and a hopefilled ending. wonderful post.

oh i'd have a ton of critters if i could.

hope you can post a pic og the new sweetie.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry and mazel tov.

10:09 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

absolutely there will be pictures coming. just waiting on the new machine.

12:31 PM  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

R.I.P. Barn Monster. I'm sure he was brave to the last.

I am thinking of Kipling's The Cat Who Walked Alone now. . .

9:53 PM  
Blogger Deborah Newell said...

Our beautiful, brave Siamese cat Norman was killed by a rattle snake back in the early 80's. I never quite got over it--it seemed so random and unfair.

I am so sorry about your Barn Monster. (((hugs)))

I hereby declare that there will be no more critters passing on from Casa Litbrit and Minstrel's Mansion. Loss, get lost. We've all had quite enough, thank you very much.

11:34 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry barn monster is no longer with us. I will miss his visits with Fred the Cat each week. I truly am sorry for you and for him.

The first dog I ever owned was killed by a rattle snake. I was just a very little girl and thank goodness I didn't see what happened but my mother did. The dog ran between my mother and the snake thinking he was protecting my mother from the snake.

I shall be in line too, to see the photo of the new family member.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Rez Dog said...

Godspeed to Barn Monster. My condolences to you and the rest of his family.

Welcome to Gus. I hope he will fill the space left by Barn Monster.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry for the end of the Monster's reign. Maybe he left a scrappy little Monster Jr. to take up where he left off.

A golden puppy. How cool is that? We only have one dog right now and she is a golden mix. I think she needs a playmate, though.

3:33 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

the barn monster went down doing what he was born to do. right now there isn't an unnuetered male anywhere, i am going to the God Of All Ropers barn to grab one up. Once we have a litter or two, then it's off to the vet. i try to keep the barn cat population at around six. that gives them enough range to not get in each other's way and seems to be optimal for keeping the vermin under control.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home