Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What I Did While the President Was Bullshitting the Rest of the Country

I had much more important things to do. First off, my eleven year old niece usually stops off at my house after school in the afternoon. She stops by to say hello and practice the piano (and the drums now too). We goof around and she often helps me out at the barn and even in the truck patch. She's a great kid. The relationship of the maternal uncle is one of the most important family connections in traditional Apache culture. As the uncle it's my job to make sure that she knows there is always an adult who is completely on her side. Even if I think she's done something wrong, I'm on her side. That's how it works. Before she left to go home this afternoon I got a call from my sister saying that they had something come up with my nephew that required them to go to the high school. Could the girl stay with me? Of course she can.

We goofed around. Fed the horses, picked some veggies from the garden, played with the dogs, went in and fixed dinner. I looked at the clock and it was Presidential bullshitting time. I decided to watch the Spurs/Nuggets game instead. I like Alan Iverson a lot more than George Bush. As a matter of fact A.I. would probably make a better president. I mean, after all, he's been in the league for a while now and he hasn't lost his temper and killed Dick Bavetta for some of the stupid game changing calls he makes, but I digress. I like Tim Duncan more than George W. Bush too, but he's from the Virgin Islands and couldn't be President. We could make an amendment to allow it but that would open the door for both Arnold and Henry Kissenger. Better to leave that door closed.

Since the big screen TV and the HD box are best viewed from the kitchen that's where we were. My niece loves sports. She's a gritty little striker in her local soccer league and loves baseball too. She started really getting into the game. I told her when the Nuggets come down to Phoenix we'll work it out with her parents so she can come to the game with me.

Being a multitasker, while the game was on we decided to make cookies. Not just any cookies mind you, but cookies with a family history. These are "Pal" cookies. My youngest sister was a real surprise to my folks. She came along well after we thought there weren't going to be any more kids. She was very bright, and growing up in a house that was mostly full of people that were way older than her she was also very articulate. She wanted to do big people stuff. She didn't just want older brothers and sisters, she wanted Pals. One of the things she would do with me was cook. One time while we were making these particular cookies she said "We're doing this together because we are pals. These are my Pal Cookies." They've been that ever since. My niece said "Let's make some Pal Cookies." I said "Of course my darling."

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup baker's sugar (regular ganulated will do)
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (and I do hope that you're grinding your spices fresh by now)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (dried and ground works here though)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
brown and baker's suger mixed half and half

Cream the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer on medium. Reduce the speed to a stir and add the molasses and the egg. Mix at a stir until smooth. Add the dry ingredients, one at a time and increase the speed to medium again. You should have a beautiful, fragrant dark brown soft dough that begins to clean the side of the bowl. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate overnight.

(We're going to do this part tomorrow afternoon)

Heat the oven to 375° and take the dough from the fridge. Pinch out and roll it into one inch balls, roll the balls in the loose half and half mixture of brown and white sugar and put onto a well greased baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes. This makes about four dozen. Have plenty of milk or Earl Grey tea handy.

The Spurs won. I bet the President was his usual stupid lying asshole self. My niece and I had a great time.

3B's

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought that I'd let ya know that I shouted your pleasant post and yummy sounding recipe on shoutwire.com.

http://tinyurl.com/y8tufy

1:57 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

thank you very much, and welcome rcg. glad you found my little page of ADD ramblings.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ADD? Oh, attention deficit disorder? LOL. And you're most welcome. From the DW forums, I know that you are one of the good guys.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

be careful rcg is kindof a joke on shoutwire hes not a good guy to make friends with. hes always talking about nuking israel and slaughtering christians and stuff. hes just a little kid and a disgraceful human being.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the War Criminal in Chief either, but from what I gather on the web today, he made it clear he is thinking about Iran & Syria...........

Hooray.................

- oddjob

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, as you can see, I got me some angry hate filled right-wing Lying Liar enemies on shoutwire. hehe

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I missed it as well.
I had better things to do, I watched the grass grow in my back yard.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Tata said...

Lovely post.

11:34 AM  
Blogger BadTux said...

If given the choice between watching a liar tell lies, and making cookies with a loved one, I know which one I'll do any time of the day. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the right priorities there.

5:35 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

and they turned out very well too. i'm munching one right now with a cup of herb tea.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the whole maternal uncle idea.
Aunts too.
My kids tell my siblings things I don't find out about
til much later if at all.
My siblings asked me if I was okay with that.
Heck yeah!
How great is it that they found adults to
trust and confide in that I also trust?
Priceless.
It's wonderful you have that kind of relationship
with your niece.
It's equally wonderful that you realize how precious it is.

12:02 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

in traditional Apache culture, when a man marries he moves near and into the family and clan structure of the woman. so, when it comes time to bring the children up and into their place in our society it makes sense that the maternal uncles would be the the ones for the job. after all, we're of this clan. usually someone will be described as being born to the mother's clan (which is where they remain) and for the father's clan. i was born to the súl (flute) clan for clan cassidy.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home