Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Abbie's Song


My current German Shepherd, Abbie, was, in her youth, an Air Force Ordinance sniffer. She's a hero. She's also the smartest dog I've ever been around. She is also totally ball obsessed. That's actually a trait they look for in sniffer dogs. Because the dogs aren't looking for bombs, dope, people, or whatever; they are looking for their ball. Abbie's favorites are squeaky balls. She chews the squeak out pretty fast though, so new ones that are still squeaky are mingled with ones without sound effects. With four balls of the same shape and color and only one that's still producing sound you can tell her "Abbie, get the squeaky ball." She will pick them up until she finds the one that squeaks and then be ready to play. Play time is all day. Every day. Here is Abbie's version of the Pete Seeger song "Turn, Turn, Turn" offered with no apologies of any kind.

"To everything, let's play ball
There is a season to play ball
And a time that we should go play ball

A time to build up
A time to play ball
A time to laugh
A time to play ball
A time to cast away balls
A time that we should play more ball"

I'm always singing to the critters. They each end up with their own personal theme song. I smell a series here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Shakespeare's Sister, and was happy to find that my husband and I are NOT the only ones to give our pets their own personal theme songs.
Abbie is beautiful!

5:28 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i've been doing the singing to the critters thing for a long time. i also end up lending a voice to them. i know it's silly anthropomorphism but i can't stop myself. it's all part of my liking the animals more than humans.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really cute. I sing to my dog all the time, but it's usually just nonsense lyrics.

"Rory... is a baby.. she's the best dog in the world..."

She doesn't particularly care for it.

10:08 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

Abbie and my others seem to respond, I'm not sure about the mechanics of it, they might just be responding to me in general and I'm putting more onto it than is there...but if I start singing this song, she goes and gets a ball. I have an Arabian stallion and when I sing his theme song he goes into the rythym, the old trail bosses used to hire nightwatch riders on the basis of their singing. It kept the cattle calmer.

12:11 PM  
Blogger maurinsky said...

I sing to all our pets all the time. I was at my sister's house recently and sang to her birds, and all of them went silent and backed away from me! It was a humbling moment for this singer.

8:55 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

pinche bird probably got jealous maurinsky

12:13 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

beautiful dog. i miss mine.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home