Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Book Meme

Normally I avoid this type of thing like the plague itself but, coming fromthe litbrit and, involving a lifelong passion of books, all I can say is "Sure, why not?"

1. One book that has changed your life. Only one? That's silly. Books have been changing my life my whole life. From JFK's "Profiles in Courage" to Cervantes' "Don Quixote" to Heller's "Catch-22" to Manchester's "Goodbye Darkness" to Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" to Sheehan's "A Bright and Shining Lie" to Palast's "Armed Madhouse" to Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5 or The Children's Crusade" I have read voraciously my entire life. I hope never to quit, if I ever go blind, I'll learn braille or get them on tape. By the way, they always need readers for that program. Also, almost every library has a literacy program, go volunteer.

2. One book you have read more than once. I read Xenophon's Anabasis at least once a year and have since High School. It is a masterful work and details how to fight a war without losing your soul, spirit, or the vast majority of your troops. They should tattoo passages from Xenophon on Rummy's ass.

3. One book you would want on a Desert Island The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining (Paperback) If you've read my blog for any length of time you know that I am a pragmatist first and a romantic second. There are five volumes in this collection so, if a series is permitted, I'll take all five.


4. One book that made you laugh. Recently, Max Barry "Jennifer Government" but TJ Boyle, Vonnegut, Heller, Cervantes, Fielding, Swift, Shakespeare, Molly Ivins, John Lennon, and e.e. cummings are all laugh out loud funny.

5. One book you wish you had written. "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman. One of the best history writers ever. "Clouds" by Aristophanes comes in second because to be still true, still performed, and still fucking funny after 2,300 years just speaks for itself.

6. One book you wish had never been written. Everything ever done by Ann Coulter. Also, the shitty history texts they made me gag my way through in high school. However, once written, they have a right to publish them. I have some provocative and outrageous books in my library. I don't discriminate or limit my research to only those who agree with me. I think it's important to hear every side I can hear.

7. One book that made you cry. "Old Yeller" if you didn't cry you're a heartless bastard.

8. One book you are currently reading. One at a time? That doesn't work for me. Right now, in the living room is "The One Percent Solution" on the bedside table is "No Thanks" by cummings and "The Rebels of Ireland"

9. One book you've been meaning to read. John Dean's latest, it hasn't arrived yet.

10. One book you wish everybody would read. Can't do just one here either dammit. These two have to be taken together because they are about the same unit in Iraq from the perspective of an embedded reporter and the Lt. commanding. They did not communicate during their writing, and the way their stories mesh testifies to the truth of the story. So, class, your summer reading assignment is:

Generation Kill, Evan Wright

and

One Bullet Away, The Making of a Marine Officer, Nathaniel Fick

Amazing reads both of them.

11. Now tag five people . . .jesus this is the part I hate most. But only for you, Brit m'dear. . .Peter, of Lone Tree, maurinsky, konagod,The Dark Wraith, and grumpy old man. But, only if they read this and choose to respond. I can't bring myself to do the email thing (i'm a wimp about stuff like that. . .)

UDATE

If anyone else feels like they want to join in and tag themselves I encourage them to do so. Books are wonderful, my nieces and nephews all know that presents from me are almost always books. Strange books, subversive books, beautiful books. I have a room in my house devoted to four walls of floor to ceiling bookshelves, there is no stereo or electronic noise in that room. Just me and the books. I haven't put the ladder on wheels in yet, but it's coming, I assure you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Friðvin said...

bastard!

OK, I'll do my best.

2:35 PM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

hey, bro, it's not the fate of western civilization depends on what we read (wait! it just might next thought)

5:11 PM  
Blogger Friðvin said...

I posted mine --- scroll down because there are several newer posts.
If I already told you or you already commented, I just haven't been there to check yet. BIG workload today.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home